Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mega Drivers" Being Proposed For A Faster Mesa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by arashbm View Post
    Error in same order of magnitude as the results? We call it insignificant (or nothing).

    I also can't understand those trailing digits (these after 0.7 in -0.798709%) if we have an error of 0.3%. they absolutely don't have any value or meaning.
    The results look significant to me at alpha=5% (non null hypothesis).

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
      the performace gain from this seems to be very small, but yah every bit helps.
      the time for CD distros is over go with a dvd, no one uses it anyway they use a usb :P
      Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Mint can't be put a CD already since a few months ago.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        6% performance improvement across the board? Sounds like the next step. What does this mean for out-of-tree Direct3D and CUDA state trackers?
        Seems that it's only when hardware acceleration disabled (see INTEL_NO_HW=1 in article). If so, perfomance grow should be lesser in normal situation, i.e when acceleration enabled.

        Comment


        • #14
          I see two downsides:
          - you can't remove or update drivers separately
          - the dropped DRI drivers that one could previously build from an earlier release, would this break them?

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by arashbm View Post
            Error in same order of magnitude as the results? We call it insignificant (or nothing).

            I also can't understand those trailing digits (these after 0.7 in -0.798709%) if we have an error of 0.3%. they absolutely don't have any value or meaning.
            Those numbers aren't the interesting ones!
            These are:
            On a megadrivers+LTO compared to non-megadrivers, non-LTO, the difference was -6.35008% +/- 0.675067% (n=10).

            Comment


            • #16
              Amazing. How one still can go in against common software development sense even after having worked in the software industry for 7 years.

              Comment


              • #17
                And I thought this was about a 16-bit console from the 90's.... what a disappointing article

                Comment


                • #18
                  Network install require landline bandwidth

                  Originally posted by Serge View Post
                  USB? Who installs using those? TFTP/PXE/NFS is where it's at!
                  Those of us who do not have a reliable high-bandwidth connection cannot install over the network and
                  must have all packages or the filesystem image locally prior to beginning an installation. I have never
                  had landline internet at home, thus never done and install over a network.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    Those of us who do not have a reliable high-bandwidth connection cannot install over the network and
                    must have all packages or the filesystem image locally prior to beginning an installation. I have never
                    had landline internet at home, thus never done and install over a network.
                    This has nothing to do with having a high bandwidth internet connection.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot...on_Environment

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      I use local installers and local OS's only

                      Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                      This has nothing to do with having a high bandwidth internet connection.

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot...on_Environment
                      To install a new system from scratch (not a copy of my existing systems), I must first go to a library
                      to fetch a full CD/DVD installer image from an uncapped/unthrottled internet connection. Then that is taken
                      home and used for installation. The exact same OS on the netbook, updated on the road, later
                      fetches packages which are harvested from /var/cache/apt/archives and used again at home on
                      the video editing desktop machine.

                      For actually running a system, I require all binaries locally on my own machines not only for
                      bandwidth but also security reasons.

                      Thus, installing from a full installer image on a flash drive or a DVD is by no means obsolete,
                      different users have different needs. With open source and many distros, people can choose for
                      themselves.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X