Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crowd-Funding Mesa Driver Development?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crowd-Funding Mesa Driver Development?

    Phoronix: Crowd-Funding Mesa Driver Development?

    While Canonical right now is attempting to raise millions of dollars for their Ubuntu Edge project, on a smaller scale would crowd-funding work for development of Mesa?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyMTY

  • #2
    @UID313 I will match any contribution you make up to 50$ Time to put your money where your keyboard is

    Comment


    • #3
      There is ONE place where Xorg foundation (and mesa) lack cash...

      Its Khronos membership. It would have little positive effect on OpenGL implementation (since at least one Intel dev do participate in ARB).
      However Khronos membership also mean ROYALTY FREE IP license for every essential IP that do not have any alternative.

      Here is more stuff on it:
      http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...=1#post1252946

      So we crowd fund Xorg (mesa is not legal entity, right?) membership in Mesa. We crowd fund some legal expertise on what would we gain from it. And hopefully at the end of the day, we enjoy freedom to implement full OpenGL without fear of liability...

      Comment


      • #4
        Could be interesting if this developer had more knowledge.
        Now I feel that I personally could do the same job.

        I'm not negative to the concept, it's very good if this gets
        funded and actually gives something. The only thing I say
        is that I'm not going to help it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pajn View Post
          Now I feel that I personally could do the same job.
          But you didn't. That's the point.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            But you didn't. That's the point.
            Of course. That's why I'm not asking for help of funding it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd help do it. I've helped GIMP crowdfunding and Ubuntu Edge's.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Of course. That's why I'm not asking for help of funding it.
                Any reason you don't just pick a different part to work on?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here is a link to the inde-gogo campain... since it isn't linked to in the article.


                  http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he...sa-contributor

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not exactly relevant, but I'd put $100-$200 towards work on bettering the OpenCL gallium work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Generalizing without talking about this particular case. How serious/safe can be this? What guarantees are there that the work is completed?
                      How to prevent someone from posing as a developer asking for donations?
                      (sorry for my english if my questions are not understood)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It used to be people would do this kind of thing, back in the 'golden age' of IT in Aus instead of buying OTS pre-packaged stuff that was a generic fit. People just did what was needed to get the job done. Good on ya!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                          Could be interesting if this developer had more knowledge.
                          Now I feel that I personally could do the same job.
                          Hi Guys, I'm the one running this campaign. First off I would like to say yes any good developer could probably do this work, but just like me they dont because they lack time to commit to it hence my campaign. As to the concerns about my prior experience with Mesa I can fully understand this thats why I have tried to be open about it from that start. If you are looking at this from a pure development perspective my experience level with the codebase can be seen as a negative, but if you consider what I want to try to do with documenting the process it can be seen as a positive as I'm starting off where anyone looking for a quick introduction would be.

                          Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                          I'm not negative to the concept, it's very good if this gets
                          funded and actually gives something. The only thing I say
                          is that I'm not going to help it.
                          Thats fine, noone is forcing you too Thanks for the feedback.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                            It used to be people would do this kind of thing, back in the 'golden age' of IT in Aus instead of buying OTS pre-packaged stuff that was a generic fit. People just did what was needed to get the job done. Good on ya!
                            Thanks for the words of encouragement.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                              Generalizing without talking about this particular case. How serious/safe can be this? What guarantees are there that the work is completed?
                              How to prevent someone from posing as a developer asking for donations?
                              (sorry for my english if my questions are not understood)
                              Well that goes for any Crowd-Funding project not just programming. If it makes you feel any better when setting up a campaign indiegogo makes you identify yourself via your PayPal details which are verified against your bank account or credit card.

                              The other thing is to ask questions if you are concerned it might not be genuine.

                              As for "What guarantees are there that the work is completed?" Again with any Crowd-Funding guarantees are hard and there is a certain level of risk involved. Its up to you whether or not you think the risk is worth it vs the size of your contribution. One positive of my campaign is that I'm working on an opensource project and intend to release my work as I progress so it should be useful regardless if its completed or not. Note: I do intend to complete the work even if I was to miss my deadline.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X