Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crowd sourcing Mesa development experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crowd sourcing Mesa development experiment

    Hi All,

    In an effort to better understand if crowd sourcing Mesa development would work I have setup a small project on Indiegogo with the Goal of implementing the GL_KHR_debug extension (OpenGL 4.3). As a stretch goal I aiming to create a bit of a guide to get started with the basics of Mesa development based on my experience. Please feel free to ask me any questions, comment on my idea or in good old Phoronix fashion flame me for whatever your reasons my be.

    To view my campaign just go to indiegogo and search for Mesa.

  • #2
    Originally posted by tarceri View Post
    To view my campaign just go to indiegogo and search for Mesa.
    Who likes to search for something they just read about? Nobody, that's who:
    http://igg.me/p/475220/x/4149623
    Quite some money for a single extension. But whatever, if it makes debugging easier and everything, why not. Here's $25. Only 99 people left to give the same?

    Comment


    • #3
      I've chipped in, good luck to you. Only 97% left to go!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Who likes to search for something they just read about? Nobody, that's who:
        Yeah sorry about that the forums wouldn't let me add a link to my post because I was a new member. Thanks for adding the link.

        Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Quite some money for a single extension. But whatever, if it makes debugging easier and everything, why not. Here's $25. Only 99 people left to give the same?
        First off thanks for your contribution its greatly appreciated. Second I have tried to make the price as reasonable as possible without over promising on what I can deliver given the timeframe.

        Originally posted by archibald View Post
        I've chipped in, good luck to you. Only 97% left to go!
        Thank you for your genorous donation.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've chipped in too; I hope it succeeds!

          Comment


          • #6
            I am somehow interested on your project.

            I made a thread here

            http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...4467479509994/

            I would be interesting to support mesa and wine, but I would like to know what the developers are doing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Parts of the campaign page look a bit un-professional or unconvincing.

              here are a few tips:
              http://www.pcworld.com/article/20334...-campaign.html

              Some short Video and video updates will help a lot too with the credibility too specially with those more skeptic and laggard donators, just be yourself and show what you want to accomplish.

              Maybe you might even surpass your initial goal, Wish you luck !!

              Comment


              • #8
                Perhaps we should have a little competition - first to implement the extension gets the money

                Comment


                • #9
                  Having recently started off in openGL programming, I know exactly how valuable the new debug_out extension is. I chipped in a bit too, hope this campaign will work out!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I suggest you inform more sites interested in Linux to gain more support.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cmr~ View Post
                      I've chipped in too; I hope it succeeds!
                      Thanks for the support.

                      Originally posted by deri View Post
                      I am somehow interested on your project.

                      I made a thread here

                      http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...4467479509994/

                      I would be interesting to support mesa and wine, but I would like to know what the developers are doing.
                      Thanks for spreading the word but I'm not sure I understand your question.

                      Originally posted by madjr View Post
                      Parts of the campaign page look a bit un-professional or unconvincing.

                      here are a few tips:
                      http://www.pcworld.com/article/20334...-campaign.html

                      Some short Video and video updates will help a lot too with the credibility too specially with those more skeptic and laggard donators, just be yourself and show what you want to accomplish.

                      Maybe you might even surpass your initial goal, Wish you luck !!
                      Thanks for the tips. I'm not marketing wiz but I'm happy to answer any questions people have. I will consider a video however I'm unsure what else I can say that I havent already. I guess I could better explain what Mesa is and what it is that I aim to accomplish.

                      Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                      Perhaps we should have a little competition - first to implement the extension gets the money
                      Well maybe you could start your own campaign with your idea for this or preferably another extension thats the beauty of Crowd-Funding. I'm asking for funding to take time off work to implement this extension and my wife would not be to impressed if it was all for nothing. In other words I would not be interested in competing in such a competition, but you may have more luck aiming at Uni students.

                      Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      Having recently started off in openGL programming, I know exactly how valuable the new debug_out extension is. I chipped in a bit too, hope this campaign will work out!
                      Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Adonai View Post
                        I suggest you inform more sites interested in Linux to gain more support.
                        I intend to do so. Maybe you guys could suggest some linux websites you think would be interested in running an article about this? Obviously Phoronix was a good place to start with its heavy focus on linux open source and the graphics stack.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          On hackernews you should have no problems posting something, Slashdot, lwn may be worth a try (but they probably won't post it), all these "little" websites like prolinux, etc.

                          edit: reddit of course in /r/linux and possibly others

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                            On hackernews you should have no problems posting something, Slashdot, lwn may be worth a try (but they probably won't post it), all these "little" websites like prolinux, etc.

                            edit: reddit of course in /r/linux and possibly others
                            ok so Slashdot submission link is here: http://slashdot.org/submission/28345...3d-development feel free to vote for it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Chipped in!!

                              Good luck

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X