Gallium3D's Direct3D 10/11 State Tracker To Be Nuked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Well, I must say I'm actually kinda surprised that VMWare didn't continue developing it after that initial push. I mean my understanding at the time from the articles was that they were developing it in order to get direct3d 10/11 client support. Yes the community didn't exactly accept it or decide to get behind it but I'd have thought their corporate interest if nothing else would have driven it forward. Oh well, maybe in the future we'll see some game developers working on this if the virtualization people aren't going to.
    VMWare had nothing to do with this. It was a 1 man project by a nouveau driver community developer.

Comment

Good riddance! There is absolutely NO excuse for implementing ballmer SHIT in Linux. Keep the SHIT away.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Good riddance! There is absolutely NO excuse for implementing ballmer SHIT in Linux. Keep the SHIT away.
        Steve Ballmer is not a programmer and have absolutely nothing to do with Direct3D.

Why is Direct3D shit?
        Have you ever used Direct3D?

Maybe it is a very well-designed coherent API?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Steve Ballmer is not a programmer and have absolutely nothing to do with Direct3D.

Why is Direct3D shit?
          Have you ever used Direct3D?

Maybe it is a very well-designed coherent API?
          You replied to a troll and Linux fanatic - next time just ignore such utterances.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            VMWare had nothing to do with this. It was a 1 man project by a nouveau driver community developer.
            I guess that's what I get for trusting phoronix to report accurately
            For those thinking that Direct3D 10/11 on Linux will be sub-par, "Finally, a mature Direct3D 10/11 implementation is intrinsically going to be faster and more reliable than an OpenGL implementation, thanks to the dramatically smaller API and the segregation of all nontrivial work to object creation that the application must perform ahead of time."

VMware previously was working on a Direct3D state tracker and it was not going to be open-source and primarily targeted for Gallium3D on Windows, but this is different and is open-source thanks to its development by a community members. This VMware / Tungsten state tracker also targeted Direct3D 9.0.
            (emphasis mine)
            from http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...3d_d3d11&num=1

led me to believe otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              I guess that's what I get for trusting phoronix to report accurately

(emphasis mine)
              from http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...3d_d3d11&num=1

led me to believe otherwise
              Ah, that "This" looks like an editorial mistake that should have read "That".

As in, VMWare had a closed source one that targeted D3D9, and this was a community based one targeting D3D1x.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Ah, that "This" looks like an editorial mistake that should have read "That".

As in, VMWare had a closed source one that targeted D3D9, and this was a community based one targeting D3D1x.
                yeah, fair enough. That is the problem of mistakes where statements still work and so aren't obviously wrong. Yay for pointers...

Comment

Working...
                X