Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Up GL_ARB_debug_output For Valve

Phoronix: Wiring Up GL_ARB_debug_output For Valve

One of the requests that Valve has long had for Intel and the open-source Linux graphics drivers in general has been supporting GL_ARB_debug_output, an OpenGL extension that assists game/application developers in debugging and optimizing their code. Fortunately, support for this extension is finally being pursued aggressively within Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxMDM

With my dev hat on, getting output on stderr via an env var is infinitely more convenient than starting up a special debug context and wiring up a callback.

@intel folks:

Please say these changes don't break the existing usage and force the much-more-inconvenient method.

Comment

How about support in the AMD and the Nouvoue drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        With my dev hat on, getting output on stderr via an env var is infinitely more convenient than starting up a special debug context and wiring up a callback.

@intel folks:

Please say these changes don't break the existing usage and force the much-more-inconvenient method.
        Okay, I'll say it: these changes don't break the existing usage and force the much-more-inconvenient method..

In all seriousness, though, INTEL_DEBUG=perf still works after this. With the environment variables set, you get output to stderr like before; in a debug context, you also get output via ARB_debug_output. Obviously, changing applications to use a debug context is a non-starter for driver developers...we don't get to change most applications.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        How about support in the AMD and the Nouvoue drivers?
        As far as I can tell, all the functionality is in Mesa core, so the developers of those drivers just need to start adding calls to _mesa_gl_debug(). Simple enough.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
        X