No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Wants More Games Running On OpenGL ES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I guess they suggested ES 2.0 for old hardware, but mostly mobile compatibility.
    I had the impression that Wayland used OpenGL ES for it's compositor .. May be mistaken though ..
    I agree, newer OpenGL is definitely better for the desktop. Hope game makers make the wise decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
      Yeah, I guess they suggested ES 2.0 for old hardware, but mostly mobile compatibility.
      I had the impression that Wayland used OpenGL ES for it's compositor .. May be mistaken though ..
      I agree, newer OpenGL is definitely better for the desktop. Hope game makers make the wise decisions.
      Weston uses ES 2.0, but i don't think there is anything in the wayland spec that requires other compositors to use any particular graphics API.

Comment

Finally, a CRAPBUNTU initiative/whatever_you_want_to_call_it with witch i FULLY AGREE.

OpenGL ES is special important for ARM SoC's in special because, AFAIK, they don't support very well or at all OpenGL but support OpenGL ES (correct me if i'm wrong....i have not a deep knowledge of ARM SoC's)...

In special it will be interesting for machines like the new ODROID-X2 and also for the ArndaleBoard-based MiniPC (dunno if they will do it at all in special at the intended price target !)

Notice that ODROID-X and ODROID-X2 can (now) (re)compile inboard (even a new kernel , IIRC)

Comment

Working...
        X