Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Wants More Games Running On OpenGL ES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Wants More Games Running On OpenGL ES

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Wants More Games Running On OpenGL ES

    Now that Ubuntu's been ported to the Google Nexus 7 and there's other interesting Ubuntu work going into the tablet/mobile-space, developers want more open-source games ported to using OpenGL ES rather than the full OpenGL stack...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxOTE

  • #2
    Am I the only one seeing a lot of talk from the Ubuntu camp but very little action over all of this?

    Now, raising an issue can be valuable in of itself, but Ubuntu always seems to talk a lot and yet accomplish very little on it's own.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
      Am I the only one seeing a lot of talk from the Ubuntu camp but very little action over all of this?

      Now, raising an issue can be valuable in of itself, but Ubuntu always seems to talk a lot and yet accomplish very little on it's own.
      You're wrong, they planned to use wayland as a system compositor for 12.10 and did so, their phone/tablet/kitchen sink versions are a hit, the desktop users are all using their cloud-related (amazon sponsored) crap err technology, compiz is the fastest and bug-free compositor around etc etc

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        You're wrong, they planned to use wayland as a system compositor for 12.10 and did so, their phone/tablet/kitchen sink versions are a hit, the desktop users are all using their cloud-related (amazon sponsored) crap err technology, compiz is the fastest and bug-free compositor around etc etc
        Canonical has also been the main contributor to many of these open source projects for years, especially for projects such as compiz, llvmpipe, wayland and others that they're highly dependent on should they want to succeed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          Canonical has also been the main contributor to many of these open source projects for years, especially for projects such as compiz, llvmpipe, wayland and others that they're highly dependent on should they want to succeed.
          No it has not. Canonical hasn't done much of any developement on Wayland or Mesa (and llvmpipe). Wayland is mainly developed by Intel and Collabora and Mesa is by Intel, Red Hat, AMD and some others. They did employ the lead (and only) Compiz developer though. Could you list some projects that they have actually done some real contributions to?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Teho View Post
            No it has not. Canonical hasn't done much of any developement on Wayland or Mesa (and llvmpipe). Wayland is mainly developed by Intel and Collabora and Mesa is by Intel, Red Hat, AMD and some others. They did employ the lead (and only) Compiz developer though. Could you list some projects that they have actually done some real contributions to?
            Just read my post again and the one I replied to.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice to see OP mentioned as a source for GLES work.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Just read my post again and the one I replied to.
                You being sarcastic there matey?

                Comment


                • #9
                  They mention all sorts of gaming related projects but not drivers.
                  Remember people, drivers are essential for this to work. All hardware that is new enough should have a driver that can do OpenGL ES 2.
                  Should allow adoption.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    You being sarcastic there matey?
                    Why of course. I thought it was overwhelming.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If I am not mistaken OpenGL ES is needed for Wayland, so maybe it's also a way to push for Wayland compatibility too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I hope that games woud use OpenGL 4 instead of DirectX 11.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                          Why of course. I thought it was overwhelming.
                          The one thing I've learn't about the internet is never DARE say anything sarcastic online without using a suitable emoticon

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                            If I am not mistaken OpenGL ES is needed for Wayland, so maybe it's also a way to push for Wayland compatibility too.
                            No, Wayland doesn't require OpenGL ES. I believe the Weston compositor may use ES 2.0 internally, but applications running on Wayland are free to render using whatever API they wish. Which is good, because otherwise modern GL 3.x/GL 4.x games could never run on it.

                            Personally, I would rather see games begin to take advantage of the newer features of OpenGL 3.x and 4.x which allow them to advance the state of the art, so to speak, employing new rendering techniques and programming the GPU more efficiently. ES 2.x is five years old and has a number of frustrating limitations. Really the only advantage is that you can run on Android today or on mobile hardware that doesn't support desktop GL. On desktop Linux, there's basically zero point to using it.

                            ES 3.0 is a lot more interesting to me: it's essentially full OpenGL 3.3 minus geometry shaders. I suspect we'll begin to see mobile hardware that supports ES 3 in the next year or two (my personal guess, I have no idea), at which point targeting ES 2 is a lot less interesting. Oh, and porting from GL 3.x's core profile to ES 3 should involve practically zero effort...
                            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              0 A.D. has some support for OpenGL ES, see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/AndroidPort#Graphics .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X