Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nine Reasons Mesa 9.0 Is Disappointing For End-Users

Phoronix: Nine Reasons Mesa 9.0 Is Disappointing For End-Users

While this morning I shared my views about nine good features of Mesa 9.0 for the major open-source OpenGL user-space update, there's also many disappointing items and shortcomings of this Mesa 9.0 release as it pertains to end-users running the open-source Linux graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't there a saying don't kick a man when he is down... in any case Mesa is much better than AMD's catalyst especially on my laptop's radeon 4200.

Case in point I can play wine games without artifacts which isn't possible with the proprietary driver. Performance is good enough for many classes of games. FPS games being the main exception. For the most part games don't require high frame rates. If it looked like warmed over pond scum at high frame rates what would be the point.

Comment

This article seems like a part of bigger issues plaguing Linux.

It's very nice to see that Michael is not wearing rose-colored glasses.

Comment

Michael, has autumns bad mood cached you when you wrote that article? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
          Michael, has autumns bad mood cached you when you wrote that article? ;-)
          More like he's a person who's really interested in Linux becoming a viable alternative to Windows on the desktop, and he gets sick when seeing the current state of affairs.

Comment

feature list is not all... for me only "bug" hunting matters

my personal problems right now with oibaf:
            Arma2 in wine crash hard on hd4770.
            kwin 3D desktop in kde crash on a hd3850.(only 2D savemode works)

maybe its just oibaf i should try mesa9 without freaking git stuff..

will kubuntu 12.10 get the mesa9 stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              More like he's a person who's really interested in Linux becoming a viable alternative to Windows on the desktop, and he gets sick when seeing the current state of affairs.
              Do you really think this? He drive all his favour computers with MAC-OS-X

But on the other side he earns money on the linux stuff so maybe he care because of the money.

Comment

Michael you can complement this article with one that describes all the methods someone can help mesa. The TODOs, donations etc.

Comment

It isn't mesa-related but I will difinitely add:
                  STILL NO DECENT RADEON POWER MANAGEMENT
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    This article seems like a part of bigger issues plaguing Linux.

It's very nice to see that Michael is not wearing rose-colored glasses.
                    Nice page!

Linux is far superior for any kind of calculations/programming/documentation on a desktop. If I think of MikTex -.- and TeXnicCentre seems the only viable editor etc. in Windows, no native Python support in a shell (OK, you can install Python in Windows and have a shell, too), no workspaces after ~20 years of development, no Gnome3 etc.

At least those are some reasons I use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X