Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 9.0 Officially Released, Supports OpenGL 3.1

Phoronix: Mesa 9.0 Officially Released, Supports OpenGL 3.1

After facing some delays, Mesa 9.0 was released on Monday afternoon as the latest bi-annual feature release of this important open-source OpenGL driver stack. This is also the first release that supports OpenGL 3.1, albeit the hardware support is currently limited to the Intel DRI driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"
    The VDPAU state tracker is also considered "complete" now for Gallium3D support of NVIDIA's Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix, except this means of shader-based video acceleration is currently limited to MPEG1 and MPEG2 formats."

Could somebody please clarify this? Does this mean that drivers such as r300g are now working with VDPAU acceleration? If so, I'd say that's pretty big news. I saw that VDPAU was still listed as "TODO" for r300g, so some clarification would be great.

Comment

My guess is that means that the front-end code is done and works on a reference implementation (softpipe or llvmpipe). Probably a bit more work needs to be done to make sure all the back-ends support it.

Comment

What is the state of radeonsi? When it is planned to be ready?

Comment

"The VDPAU state tracker is also considered "complete" now for Gallium3D support of NVIDIA's Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix, except this means of shader-based video acceleration is currently limited to MPEG1 and MPEG2 formats."

I hpe that would mean that MPEG4 and its variations would follow soon just in time that users still would be happy to have it as next gen codecs probably are on the way. I read not long ago that H.265 standard promissing even greater compresion was already ratified...

PS On the side note Libva 1.1.0 reappeareed couple days ago

Comment

Do not expectate much from VDPAU

If codecs are patented than they will not land in MESA.

Maybe as 3rd party library? But not in mainland mesa.

Mesa 10 will bring OpenGL 3.2/3.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0 right?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Mesa 10 will bring OpenGL 3.2/3.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0 right?
              Not sure about OpenGL ES 3.0, but I'd be quite surprised if it didn't. To pick up a slightly pedantic point, it won't be Mesa 10 unless it supports a new major version of OpenGL. The work for OpenGL 3.3 is done, it's just OpenGL 3.2 features that are missing (multisample textures, geometry shaders and GLSL 1.5).

Comment

OpenGL 3.1 were released on March 24, 2009.
                So we are still more than 3 years behind in terms of technology.

However, we may soon get OpenGL 3.2 and 3.3 support since some of it is partially implemented.

OpenGL 4 is probably going to be a tough one though.

Comment

Intel is strongly interested in OpenGL ES 3.0. They will also probably certyfy it. As they did with OpenGL ES 2.0. So for now MESA is officially OpenGL ES 2.0 implementation

PS Folks at Intel think that OpenGL 3.2 and ES 3.0 are closly related, so maybe they will wait for OGL that will be slower to implement cause it will not take long if any.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    OpenGL 3.1 were released on March 24, 2009.
                    So we are still more than 3 years behind in terms of technology.

However, we may soon get OpenGL 3.2 and 3.3 support since some of it is partially implemented.

OpenGL 4 is probably going to be a tough one though.
                    It will be unless some crayzy student come along But 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 / (eventuall) 4.4 will be a bit easier as they just "refine" OGL.

Comment

Working...
                    X