MSAA For Mesa Finally Moves Closer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulie889 View Post
    I did read somewhere that MSAA is actually required in GL 3.0 and later? If this is true? I mean Intel has been advertising GL 3 for a while now and the only add MSAA now?
    My understanding is that MSAA *is* required for GL 3.0 but this was only realized *after* drivers started advertising 3.0 support.

I don't think it was just a simple oversight -- IIRC there was some nuance with earlier GL versions where the extension had to be supported but only 1x support was required (which meant that real MSAA support was *not* really needed at that point).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      My understanding is that MSAA *is* required for GL 3.0 but this was only realized *after* drivers started advertising 3.0 support.

I don't think it was just a simple oversight -- IIRC there was some nuance with earlier GL versions where the extension had to be supported but only 1x support was required (which meant that real MSAA support was *not* really needed at that point).

Not sure what changed -- if 3.0 required more than 1x and that was missed, or if there was a realization that the "1x only" interpretation was wrong... or completely unrelated
      Something like undiscovered dependency in package management?

Comment

More likely a missed nuance in a 200-page specification...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          More likely a missed nuance in a 200-page specification...
          At least it wasn't one of those nuances filled with double negatives that you have to re-read two dozen times and draw a UML diagram of in order to offer a hypothesis about what the spec is trying to tell you, all while you do your best to suppress a psychotic episode where you fantasize about the authors' demise.

Just thinking about it fills me with feelings and emotions that no man should be encumbered with in a professional or academic setting.

F

Comment

BTW, there's no support for MSAA pre-Gen 6 because only Sandy Bridge onwards have hardware for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie889 View Post
              I did read somewhere that MSAA is actually required in GL 3.0 and later? If this is true? I mean Intel has been advertising GL 3 for a while now and the only add MSAA now?
              Yes, Intel figured that out too late for Mesa 8.0, and so they made their driver simply lie and say it supported MSAA even though it didn't.

Not too big of a deal, really, but that made it one of the things they needed to get done for 8.1.

Comment

Working...
              X