Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TitaniumGL: A Faster Multi-Platform Graphics Driver Architecture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TitaniumGL: A Faster Multi-Platform Graphics Driver Architecture?

    Phoronix: TitaniumGL: A Faster Multi-Platform Graphics Driver Architecture?

    After first being introduced on Windows years ago, and then FreeBSD and ReactOS support added last year, this week finally marked the release of TitaniumGL for Linux. TitaniumGL is self-described as a "freeware driver architecture" and carries a goal to support OpenGL on graphics cards with broken, bad, or missing OpenGL hardware drivers. Here are some benchmarks of TitaniumGL compared to NVIDIA's binary GPU driver and the Mesa/Gallium3D LLVMpipe software rasterizer.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17141

  • #2
    holy s***!
    is it some april's fool joke?
    merge immediately!
    or at least hire this guy... or dunno... what is it behind this? have you tested the radeon driver on it?

    as i remember running gothic 2 on pre r300 graphic cards on single core cpu (~1,7GHz) with 1GB SD Ram, smoothly, with high details and 1600x1200 resolution. nowadays supertuxkart is barely fluently on x1650 with dualcore cpu and 2GB ddr1 ram on 1440x900 resolution. maybe i just got carried away, but thats more like the numbers im suspecting from graphics.

    besides, what about supertuxkart? its an awesome game and runs on irrlicht engine. could be interesting for testing, couldnt it?

    Comment


    • #3
      only openGL1 and only 32bit and only cloused source?

      really.. how cares?

      the future is openGL2 or higher

      and 64bit or higher

      and the future is opensource not closed source.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        only openGL1 and only 32bit and only cloused source?

        really.. how cares?

        the future is openGL2 or higher

        and 64bit or higher

        and the future is opensource not closed source.
        I almost completely agree with you. My only difference with you, is that his architecture seems to be better than the current mesa's one, and if he can be employed to bring that to open source, I'm all for it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          ...if he can be employed to bring that to open source, I'm all for it.
          Yep, +1. Hire him immediately!

          Comment


          • #6
            I think llvmpipe is more suited at emulating a programmable pipleline. OpenGL 1.4 is fixed pipeline so I'm guessing the developer can simplify a lot of the code

            Comment


            • #7
              A library, that is closed source, fetching advertisements and translates opengl calls into proprietary directx?

              Well that just sounds like a graphical rootkit!

              Comment


              • #8
                Maybe a test for the actual image quality / rendering accuracy would be beneficial to the evaluation of the performance?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Who knows what the hell happens in that closed library? Maybe it's just a wrapper calling the OGL driver itself and maybe someone is trying to fool people with the excuse of the three euros...

                  The fact it doesn't work on VESA driver also is truly suspicious. If it is a fully software renderer, it MUST run on vesa driver, then others come.

                  Also look at the trend of Urban Terror v4.1 tests: going from 800x600 to 1024x768 both TitaniumGL and NVIDIA proprietary driver increase their numbers, instead LLVMpipe decreases (as it should be on a sane CPU-based renderer).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't forget, it's also spyware that pops open your browser and directs it to a site full of advertising each time you use it.

                    What is this? Windows?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      personally i don't care if something like this is closed source, but the only reason why i'd like it to be open source is so people could compile it for other architectures - architectures that NEED it like PPC. the hardware limitations on this are pretty ridiculous tho.


                      i feel like amd's bulldozer cpus would perform great with this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I see there are some people who suspect cheating here (which is sad, given that no one has actually verified the accusations yet). It should be easy to find out for anyone with at least two different video cards. Just do a benchmark, then swap in the other card and see if the results change considerably.

                        On another note, I've seen bits of the original source code myself. Believe me, most people wouldn't understand a thing. All functions and variables have crazy_long_non_english_naming.

                        On a third note, I can actually imagine that TitaniumGL is faster than LLVMpipe, given that LLVMpipe probably tries to be reasonably accurate and emulate shaders. TitaniumGL probably makes a hell of a lot of shortcuts (which is a perfectly valid approach, if the unsued functions are not/seldomly used, why not leave them out?). Either way, more testing needed here.
                        Last edited by ultimA; 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                          Yep, +1. Hire him immediately!
                          Who's gonna hire him?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Unless you forced llvmpipe to GL 1.4 too, the games very likely took different paths, using heavier shaders on llvmpipe where the ability is there.

                            Also different WM (unity vs unity 2d).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                              I see there are some people who suspect cheating here (which is sad, given that no one has actually verified the accusations yet). It should be easy to find out for anyone with at least two different video cards. Just do a benchmark, then swap in the other card and see if the results change considerably.

                              On another note, I've seen bits of the original source code myself. Believe me, most people wouldn't understand a thing. All functions and variables have crazy_long_non_english_naming.

                              On a third note, I can actually imagine that TitaniumGL is faster than LLVMpipe, given that LLVMpipe probably tries to be reasonably accurate and emulate shaders. TitaniumGL probably makes a hell of a lot of shortcuts (which is a perfectly valid approach, if the unsued functions are not/seldomly used, why not leave them out?). Either way, more testing needed here.
                              the thing is, either llvm is failing (with multiple devs on it, whereas titanium, seems to be a one man show - maybe not, idk) or its "focusing on different things". so what do you think is the sad thing? people being suspicious to a suddenly appeared architecture they dont know about which is closed source is only rathional.
                              either:
                              a) the gallium devs are a bunch of morons having lost several years on developing some crap
                              b) this guy is a genious, or
                              c) we are comparing apples to pears here. leaving the question which we like better: apples or pears?

                              or:
                              d) im mixing something up. like gallium and llvm or something

                              i wonder if this guy is referring to the same decisions about gallium that hold intel back from porting their drivers to gallium.

                              PS.:
                              e) michael needs money and invented some story to get clicks on the site and forum =D

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X