KWin May Drop Support For Catalyst, Vintage GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
    Their effort so far is the Radeon open source driver, not fglrx.
    Right! and the radeon driver+kde work awesome

Comment

I prefer the radeon driver but on my laptop I have had to switch to the blob to keep save power. And for gaming the open driver is to slow, be it wine or not, the open driver can even be a bit slow running my desktop in certen situations.
      Last edited by Janell6754; 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I think that is a easy situation to understand, in my laptop amd turion x2 more ati hd4650 mobility, the temperature is more high than 87 degrees, is absolutely dangerous but with catalyst my laptot stay at 70 degrees, for gaming I prefer windows, i don't have a problem with it, but my laptop is absolutely hot with radeon driver.

Comment

All AMD has to do is fix direct rendering + TFP

By the time this happens next year, they may well have done that. If only to get Gnome Shell working properly. Recent releases have been making some progress in this area, although it's hard to say if that was an actual goal of the fglrx team or just a coincidence.

Comment

Why is KDE not try the OpenGL ES 2.0 Implementation in den fglrx? Since 10.8 or 10.9 its in the Catalyst package available for all Radeon GPUs since HD2xxx.

I have no problem with dropping the Ogl 1 path but first fix the problems with Ogl2 path or find an other solution.

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
              This position doesn't make any sense. KDE runs superbly well with the open source Radeon drivers, and it runs very poorly with fglrx.

You are, in effect, threating to drop KDE unless it allows you to stick to experiencing abysmal performance.

Frankly, I don't get it.
              It makes perfect sense.
              I for instance am not running fglrx just because of KDE but because of OpenCL (distributed.net anyone?, Bitcoin?).
              I use it due to better power management.
              And Video acceleration.

I will continue using it just for these reasons. If KDE will not let me - Gnome is there.
              Maybe AMD will sort it out anyway to run Gnome Shell. Then this is a non-issue.

I assume I'm not too special about this topic. I'm just a user who wants to use the system. Not fiddle with configs. If it doesn't run, I change to something that works. And usually I don't come back until some other problem forces me to do so.
              So i do think that KDE might lose a significant part of its AMD-user base if people will be let alone on this one.

OT:
              But then again, it seems to be one of the major trends in the linux environment to break things.
              - Pulseaudio with KDE is a pain in the neck
              - KMail -> KMail2
              - The vast majority of KDE releases before 4.6
              - Desktopsearch (Beagle -> Strigi/Nepomuk)
              - Playing a simple Audio CD from the CD drive (without actually ripping it. just playing...)
              - Kernel APIs that keep requiring rebuilding modules like fglrx after EVEREY single kernel patch. I hope for improvement due to EFI and signed drivers
              - ... I could go on....

cheers,
              Martin

Comment

gnome shell works fine

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                By the time this happens next year, they may well have done that. If only to get Gnome Shell working properly. Recent releases have been making some progress in this area, although it's hard to say if that was an actual goal of the fglrx team or just a coincidence.
                infact catalyst 12.1 with gnome shell and clutter vblank off, works brilliantly. May be i have a weak card (6370 M 512 VRAM) for open source drivers but I have always experienced smoother performance with fglrx and kde

Comment

Originally posted by smartysmart34 View Post
                  I will continue using it just for these reasons. If KDE will not let me - Gnome is there.
                  You can use KDE perfectly fine without compositing/desktop effects. In fact I do it all the time, even with the Open Source radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    You can use KDE perfectly fine without compositing/desktop effects. In fact I do it all the time, even with the Open Source radeon driver.
                    I just don't get it.

I wrote that I use fglrx for other reasons than compositing and you reply by saying I can have compositing with Radeon as well? Heck yes, BUT I CAN NOT HAVE OPENCL WITH IT!.

Comment

I just don't get it.

I wrote that I use fglrx for other reasons than compositing and you reply by saying I can have compositing with Radeon as well? Heck yes, BUT I CAN NOT HAVE OPENCL WITH IT!.
                      No I am not saying this. I say that you can run KDE fine with fglrx when they abandon ther OpenGL 1 support. Just without compositing.

Comment

I just don't get it.

Yes you don't get it. He said you could turn off compositing in kwin.

(note: you could also just replace kwin with something else, because kwin != kde)

Comment

Well, OK, I really didn't get it. Sorry for misinterpreting what was written.

By the way: Which alternatives are there to kwin and would they allow for desktop effects?

Comment

By the way: Which alternatives are there to kwin and would they allow for desktop effects?
                            I used kde + compiz in the early kde 4.x days, because kwin was just too slow with older radeons.

Comment

Well, OK, I really didn't get it. Sorry for misinterpreting what was written.

When I run "mutter --replace" it works good.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                                proprietary drivers suck.
                                Exactly.
                                Who in their right mind would use a driver that offers maximum performance, power saving, HW video acceleration, when they can use a driver that doesn't?

Comment

Working...
                                X