Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gallium3D Cell Driver Gets Dropped Too

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Gallium3D Cell Driver Gets Dropped Too

    Phoronix: The Gallium3D Cell Driver Gets Dropped Too

    Besides dropping the Intel 965 Gallium3D driver from mainline Mesa, the Gallium3D Cell driver has also been removed too...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyMTM

  • #2
    So I'm not a PS3 user, but what does this mean for those who use PS3? Do they not have 3D acceleration anymore? AFAIK, there's still no nvidia support.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not a Problem for PS3 Graphics

      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      So I'm not a PS3 user, but what does this mean for those who use PS3? Do they not have 3D acceleration anymore? AFAIK, there's still no nvidia support.
      On the PS3 you're probably better off using the nouveau driver for the Nvidia GPU (it's an NV74 IIRC). I don't believe the Cell on the PS3 is actually directly hooked up to the rasterization hardware so in order to use the cell as the GPU you'd have to blit the images to the NV GPU anyways. The SPEs are more interesting as GPGPU processors for CUDA/OpenCL like jobs. The only real downside to PS3 owners is that Clover (Gallium3D-based OpenCL) won't support the cell, but anyone seriously targeting the Cell for performance uses the dedicated SPU compiler mode in GCC anyways.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        So I'm not a PS3 user, but what does this mean for those who use PS3? Do they not have 3D acceleration anymore? AFAIK, there's still no nvidia support.
        PS3 users aren't allowed to boot into Linux since quite some time anyway. Cell is dead as a platform for mainframes. Some aspects have been merged into newer POWER CPUs but for those aren't used on computers directly hooked to displays anyway

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by trapxvi View Post
          On the PS3 you're probably better off using the nouveau driver for the Nvidia GPU (it's an NV74 IIRC). I don't believe the Cell on the PS3 is actually directly hooked up to the rasterization hardware so in order to use the cell as the GPU you'd have to blit the images to the NV GPU anyways. The SPEs are more interesting as GPGPU processors for CUDA/OpenCL like jobs. The only real downside to PS3 owners is that Clover (Gallium3D-based OpenCL) won't support the cell, but anyone seriously targeting the Cell for performance uses the dedicated SPU compiler mode in GCC anyways.
          wait nouveau works on ps3's gpu now? if so that's great to hear, but how well does it work?

          if ps3 had more memory and if i had more money i would consider using ps3 as my main computer, but my computer now is better than ps3. maybe the next generation will be good enough.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            PS3 users aren't allowed to boot into Linux since quite some time anyway.
            Not if you don't install firmware that breaks booting into Linux. Anyone who bought one to play with for compute purposes probably fits into this camp.

            [QUOTE=Awesomeness;240601
            Cell is dead as a platform for mainframes. Some aspects have been merged into newer POWER CPUs but for those aren't used on computers directly hooked to displays anyway
            [/QUOTE]

            The only place IBM sells Cell directly is in blades like the QS22.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              wait nouveau works on ps3's gpu now?
              It doesn't.

              Comment


              • #8
                Trusting Sony enough to write tens of thousands of lines of code in Mesa and the kernel to support the PAYstation 3 was a mistake to begin with.

                Sony is a DRM and old media company that thrives on misusing Linux for tax evasion purposes (PAYstation 2) and then decided to label it as a value added feature to the PAYstation 3. Then when a bunch of scientists decide to buy the PAYstation 3 simply because it's heavily subsidized and makes a neat and cost effective compute cluster due to Linux, Sony drops that support. This makes them guilty of fraud and false advertising.

                Sony is slime. They're every bit as bad as Monoposoft and Crapple in their love of exploiting the user and crippling their products to satisfy big media cartels at the expense of the end user. It probably serves anyone who was foolish enough to buy a PAYstation 3 right. At least the RROD BOX 360 just has shoddy hardware. You know where Monoposoft stands on Linux support from the beginning. (Not that I advise buying one of those anyway).

                Slightly off topic, but video game consoles this generation are just a complete and utter rip off. Has anyone but me noticed that games went up $10 each and that they only ship half the game on that disc and make you spend another $40 downloading it piece by piece from them?

                Comment


                • #9
                  You do know that using stupid names for company doesn't make you look smarter and them worse right?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    You do know that using stupid names for company doesn't make you look smarter and them worse right?
                    Well, they are still criminals and thieves, and I am not. There's that.

                    Between them you have general fraud, false advertising, monopoly abuse, theft (I consider DRM a form of theft against the user), racketeering, tax evasion, and paying "independent" reviewers to spread libel about competitors. These people would all be in prison if they weren't rich.
                    Last edited by DaemonFC; 11-30-2011, 03:47 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      so apparently people have already forgotten about Geohots hack on the PS3 that lets you access everything?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                        so apparently people have already forgotten about Geohots hack on the PS3 that lets you access everything?
                        Probably illegal since we have the best government money can buy. (DMCA)

                        Even if the "Digital Monstrosities and Corruption Act" doesn't stifle this, then "PROTECT Imaginary Property, Promote Intellectual Monopoly, and other purposes" one probably will. It turns the user into a criminal when they try to make their property work better than the manufacturer (like Sony or Microsoft or Apple) wants it to. In Sony's case, this is even more of an insult because it criminalizes a user for restoring features that it was advertised to have in the first place.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                          so apparently people have already forgotten about Geohots hack on the PS3 that lets you access everything?
                          Unfortunately, somehow Sony managed to fix that in some firmware update early, early in 2011... And then Sony made him sign something to say that he could never work on jailbreaking the PS3 again, or else they could sue him for some astronomical sum.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                            Unfortunately, somehow Sony managed to fix that in some firmware update early, early in 2011... And then Sony made him sign something to say that he could never work on jailbreaking the PS3 again, or else they could sue him for some astronomical sum.
                            They used to advertise the PAYstation 3 as a general purpose computer since it ran Linux.

                            Now that they managed to sell a bunch of them with that as a listed feature, they take it away and return the PAYstation 3 to being just a toll booth for entertainment.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Goodbye... snif snif...




                              PS: DaemonFC is the master of mistyped brand names

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X