Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Support Merged Into Mesa / Gallium3D

Phoronix: Android Support Merged Into Mesa / Gallium3D

It's now possible to build and run mainline Mesa releases on Google's Android platform. While this doesn't make too much sense to use Mesa on Android for mobile ARM devices due to the lack of open-source Mesa / Gallium3D graphics drivers in this area, this support opens up new possibilities for running the Android operating system on x86 netbooks and tablets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

pedantic correction.

If you refer to him by his given chinese name, then his first name is Wu. Chia-I is his family name. Therefore, you should address him as Mr. Chia-I(or Chia-I Xiansheng), or by his "given name" Wu. Titles are very important in chinese society and you do him a disservice by referring to him as simply Chia-I.

Comment

Originally posted by justsumdood View Post
      If you refer to him by his given chinese name, then his first name is Wu. Chia-I is his family name. Therefore, you should address him as Mr. Chia-I(or Chia-I Xiansheng), or by his "given name" Wu. Titles are very important in chinese society and you do him a disservice by referring to him as simply Chia-I.
      If you're going to be pedantic, he's from Taiwan not China.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        If you're going to be pedantic, he's from Taiwan not China.
        While you're being pedantic, you might want to note that the official English name of the state in question is "Republic of China".

Comment

Wow, way to off topic. Maybe you guys want to finish up this discussion of naming convention in private?

As for the R600G support for Android.... I guess the big question is *just how far* has the Adreno series of GPUs diverged from the R600's they are based on?

Comment

I wonder how we'd find out now that it's owned by Qualcomm.

Comment

Very interesting.

Hopefully the R300g driver will be added in the future to the list of drivers that work on/with android.

Does this mean the graphics driver infrastructure for Android and Linux is unifying?
              Will it be possible in the future to write a driver on Linux and that it automatically works in Android?

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                I wonder how we'd find out now that it's owned by Qualcomm.
                Obviously, by reverse engineering the qualcomm hardware and comparing the similarities. Every similarity that can be found simplifies the overall process, so the only real hard work is in reverse engineering the *differences* -- which are hopefully minor.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                  Does this mean the graphics driver infrastructure for Android and Linux is unifying? Will it be possible in the future to write a driver on Linux and that it automatically works in Android?
                  Sort of - between KMS and recent EGL work you can now run a GL ES stack over the kernel driver without X, which provides the foundation of what you need for Android. There are a couple of things in Android which require additional driver hooks in the 2.x Android versions but going forward most of these seem to be moving to run over GL ES.

So... pretty much yes today, and the remaining bits should come over time.
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X