Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    So by installing this package I get the latest open source drivers? This works for AMD and Nvidia drivers as well? Everytime I run the command "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" I will get the latest drivers?

    Also does this include the latest features enabled, like ATI Hyper Z and other stuff I've seen in phoronix benchmarks?
    Yes, but you probably also need an updated kernel for some features, depending on your chipset.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by oibaf View Post
      Yes, but you probably also need an updated kernel for some features, depending on your chipset.
      Thanks, I'm on 3.7 kernel with Mint 14.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by oibaf View Post
        Hi, there is no magic in my PPA, I just provide what's currently in upstream projects, open a bug here if you want to see it fixed:
        https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mesa
        Hi, not sure if it is an upstream problem. Updated with xorg-edgers and everything works.

        Comment


        • Last 2 versions are broken.

          Last 2 versions of Radeon drivers are broken. Previous versions (buit before February) were just fine.

          Tested on HD5770 and...
          1) Compressed textures aren't handled correctly now (or memory transfers are seriously broken). I can see textured surfaces with compressed textures are full of very specific block-based garbage. It has worked perfectly 2 releases ago though. Only February versions are broken.
          2) After some time (some seconds to ~10 minutes) of mentioned 3D loads, GPU locks up. Kernel attempts to reset it and then reset fails. System locks up so hard that even die-hard Alt-SysRq keys are gone at this point and it locks up even before anything meaningful in kernel log could be written to disk. So there are no logs with crash.

          Previous versions were fine in both compressed textures handling (I use libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0) - there was no garbage. And there was no any lockups even after hours of any 3D loads.

          N.B. I'm using 3.8 RC5 and RC6 kernels. They were fine with pre-February versions.
          Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 02-05-2013, 01:30 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
            Last 2 versions of Radeon drivers are broken. Previous versions (buit before February) were just fine.

            Tested on HD5770 and...
            1) Compressed textures aren't handled correctly now (or memory transfers are seriously broken). I can see textured surfaces with compressed textures are full of very specific block-based garbage. It has worked perfectly 2 releases ago though. Only February versions are broken.
            2) After some time (some seconds to ~10 minutes) of mentioned 3D loads, GPU locks up. Kernel attempts to reset it and then reset fails. System locks up so hard that even die-hard Alt-SysRq keys are gone at this point and it locks up even before anything meaningful in kernel log could be written to disk. So there are no logs with crash.

            Previous versions were fine in both compressed textures handling (I use libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0) - there was no garbage. And there was no any lockups even after hours of any 3D loads.

            N.B. I'm using 3.8 RC5 and RC6 kernels. They were fine with pre-February versions.
            Please report a bug against mesa if it's still an issue. See first post.

            Comment


            • I just discovered this PPA and I can't believe I wasted so many hours trying to get xorg-edgers packages to work on my Debian! This is just wonderful, I can finally use mesa 9, since I'm too lazy to build it from source!
              The only issue I have is that I can't upgrade the xserver-xorg-video-ati package since it requires xorg-video-abi-13 (or xorg-video-abi-11 for the precise serie) and xserver-xorg-core from the Debian repos only provides xorg-video-abi-12, but everything I need seems to work with xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6 from Debian (except CS Source and TF2 but I haven't searched yet if it is even possible with the free drivers).
              Sorry if this question is not related to this PPA but any idea if Radeon drivers (ver 1:7.*) from this PPA would provide any noticeable improvement compared to the Radeon drivers (ver 1:6.*)from Debian?

              Thank you so much again!

              Cheers.
              Last edited by bigmac; 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bigmac View Post
                I just discovered this PPA and I can't believe I wasted so many hours trying to get xorg-edgers packages to work on my Debian! This is just wonderful, I can finally use mesa 9, since I'm too lazy to build it from source!
                The only issue I have is that I can't upgrade the xserver-xorg-video-ati package since it requires xorg-video-abi-13 (or xorg-video-abi-11 for the precise serie) and xserver-xorg-core from the Debian repos only provides xorg-video-abi-12, but everything I need seems to work with xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6 from Debian (except CS Source and TF2 but I haven't searched yet if it is even possible with the free drivers).
                Sorry if this question is not related to this PPA but any idea if Radeon drivers (ver 1:7.*) from this PPA would provide any noticeable improvement compared to the Radeon drivers (ver 1:6.*)from Debian?

                Thank you so much again!

                Cheers.
                All the changes are here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...video-ati/log/

                There are not huge changes other than removing obsoleted UMS.

                Comment


                • I think most recent libdrm is busted on intel

                  been having major stability problems (monitor connected on VGA is very fuzzy with bad colours at X startup though DVI monitor is fine, and after 1-2hrs uptime the system starts thrashing badly) since 2/12 when the package was last updated, but they go away when I restart lightdm so I think it's an X issue. tried forcing stable versions of xorg-intel from other PPAs but that didn't do the trick; unfortunately when I try to force version of libdrm, synaptic claims I need to remove virtually every application on my system that depends on X, and I'd rather not go through that.

                  any word on how I can smoothly revert (I did an apt-get clean thinking I might have dpkg corruption so I don't have slightly older packages in my cache to use) or when you might have a fixed update?

                  Comment


                  • managed to revert smoothly, but problem persists; maybe llvm is the issue?

                    solved synaptic issues by basically unmarking dependencies one-by-one (had to do a few of them simultaneously, e.g. wine and wine:i386, but I got it). however, the problem persists. I grabbed the debian version of llvm-3.2, as that's the only other oibaf package that updated around when I started experiencing these problems, and I couldn't find a more stable version in a ubuntu PPA. we'll see what this does...

                    Comment


                    • You can revert the whole PPA, see main PPA page.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X