Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German RadeonHD Hacker To Start R600 Gallium3D VDPAU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    In theory it should work on any gallium driver, however, I don't know if anyone has tried anything other than r600g yet. It shouldn't be too hard make it work on r300g if it's not already.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      In theory it should work on any gallium driver, however, I don't know if anyone has tried anything other than r600g yet. It shouldn't be too hard make it work on r300g if it's not already.
      It works with softpipe in addition to r600g.

      I did some work to port it to the nv50 driver a few weeks ago. I got the motion compensation working perfectly, but never got the iDCT to work correctly. I still need to submit the patches for the MC support.

      On nvfx with nv30, it reportedly fails to compile the vertex shader because it contains a conditional instruction. Not sure about nv40.

      airlied tried to use pipe-video on r300g using an r500 card a few weeks ago, but not even the MC worked. He would have more details on that than I do.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by NSLW View Post
        What about ATI Avivo?
        What are you asking?

        Code is here, by the way.
        http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/?h=pipe-video

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
          What are you asking?

          Code is here, by the way.
          http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/?h=pipe-video
          Here is a snippet from Wikipedia about ATI Avivo
          "In decoding, the GPU core supports hardware decoding of H.264, VC-1, WMV9, and MPEG-2 videos to lower CPU utilization (the bitstream processing/entropy decoding still requires CPU processing). ATI Avivo supports vector adaptive de-interlacing and video scaling to reduce jaggies, and spatial/temporal dithering, enabling 10-bit color quality on 8-bit and 6-bit displays during process stage."

          I'm asking if anyone would take advantage of this features which are present in r500 hardware.

          Comment


          • #15
            This is a shader-based approach to XvMC.

            Originally posted by NSLW View Post
            I'm asking if anyone would take advantage of this features which are present in r500 hardware.
            The features you're talking about sound like UVD, which only fglrx supports right now. Which means that the answer to your question is "No".

            Comment


            • #16
              vpdau and hardware accelerated flash

              So, if this works then we could end up with hardware accelerated flash? As I understand it hardware flash is only supported in 32bit for Nvidia hardware running Nvidia drivers - via vpdau.

              Hopefully it will at least open the door to hardware flash on Radeon.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                The features you're talking about sound like UVD, which only fglrx supports right now. Which means that the answer to your question is "No".
                I think Avivo is just their brand name for hardware based decoding. So it's not possible to use unless you're running fglrx - or if they release the UVD hardware specs.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                  ATI Avivo supports vector adaptive de-interlacing and video scaling to reduce jaggies, and spatial/temporal dithering, enabling 10-bit color quality on 8-bit and 6-bit displays during process stage."

                  I'm asking if anyone would take advantage of this features which are present in r500 hardware.
                  Most of these are software features implemented in the proprietary driver stack, not hardware features (other than the underlying 10-bit capability and the hw for dithering). AVIVO stands for Advanced Video In / Video Out and mostly refers to video quality improvement.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    That sounds great, and is more than I expected from XvMC. This would make most 1080p videos playable on a single core.

                    Does anyone know how much work it is to enable this code? I lost track. It's in a separate branch, right?
                    If you're using Ubuntu (or maybe any Debian derivative) this would be the first place I would go:

                    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

                    Which includes links to more stable ppas, as well as ppas for individual drivers.

                    J.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      ^
                      I don't think xorg-edgers enable the xvmc branch...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X