No announcement yet.

Wine Devs Have Mixed Feelings Over Direct3D In Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine devs are known to reject anything that does not fit into their product vision. Remember WinePulse by Art Taylor, there was a flame war in the bugtracker, but they just ignored all users' arguments. My guess if this new D3D tracker will mature to the state when it can be used to run real apps, it can live as a dedicated project, with distros making custom wine builds using it.
    So, no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      So, the Wine devs don't want to use a feature that could make their software better?? What a shocker :P It's like they have some sort of deal with microsoft to insure that wine continues to suck.
      You mean "ensure", not "insure".

Comment

Lawyers Cost Money

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        I think there's simply fear due to it being Microsoft designed tech.

That's all there is too it. But before some people start drawing any hasty conclusions as to whether it should be thrown out of or not, let's check with some actual lawyers first?
        On the face of it, a plausible idea. But where this idea fails badly is the practicality. Lawyers cost money. You know, that stuff your parents give you

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
          On the face of it, a plausible idea. But where this idea fails badly is the practicality. Lawyers cost money. You know, that stuff your parents give you
          Isn't that what the FSF is for? Though whether they'd want to touch this is another matter. Maybe the EFF instead?

Comment

I think that it is very important to STOP COPYING MS!!!
            Drop this D3D nonsense and focus on things made for linux!

Wine has been nothing more than a SEVERE SETBACK in the fight to compete Linux against MS. It serves as an EXCUSE for software vendors to make ONLY MS BINARIES.... and then you get a disfunctional POS when trying to make said binaries run in Wine (because wine is a nasty hack) rather than having proper binaries built for the platform.

And so the software vendors make no attempt to support linux, their software ends up NOT running well enough on linux, and those who try eventually go back to windoze because the software they like will only run there.

As for the legal questions around a D3D implementation... VERY VERY IMPORTANT. And asking a lawyer does NOT give you a meaningful answer. EVEN IF IT IS LEGAL TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, MS can STILL make life miserable. The ONLY way that the legal issues can POSSIBLY be resolved is to get MS to sign off on the legality of the code, and you all know that this will NEVER happen.

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
              On the face of it, a plausible idea. But where this idea fails badly is the practicality. Lawyers cost money.
              That's obvious. People donate to the Wine project, you know.

You know, that stuff your parents give you
              You mean what they gave me during first school? Some people work for their money, gord_boy_... <_<'

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                And so the software vendors make no attempt to support linux, their software ends up NOT running well enough on linux, and those who try eventually go back to windoze because the software they like will only run there.
                In my view, that is not correct. If Wine becomes perfect and can run every single Windows game and program, people like me who use Windows just because Linux does not support some of the important programs will be able to switch to Linux, increasing its popularity and making others aware of it, thus the companies will see that people use Linux and will create native binaries. If they don't, then it's no problem as well - you will still be able to run all the programs on Linux! So you, the user, win every time! And Linux has nothing to lose, too.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  In my view, that is not correct. If Wine becomes perfect and can run every single Windows game and program, people like me who use Windows just because Linux does not support some of the important programs will be able to switch to Linux, increasing its popularity and making others aware of it, thus the companies will see that people use Linux and will create native binaries. If they don't, then it's no problem as well - you will still be able to run all the programs on Linux! So you, the user, win every time! And Linux has nothing to lose, too.
                  That CAN and WILL ***NEVER HAPPEN***.
                  You will NEVER be able to run wondoze programs in linux properly. Wine has been in development forever now, and yet it barely works at all. And then you have MS creating things for no purpose other than to f wine up -- it's like hacking satellites, an unending game of cat and mouse.

If every developer of windoze software *KNEW* that no-way-no-hell would a linux user be able to use it, then at least SOME of them would MAKE AN EFFORT to build a linux version of their software. While they THINK that linux can run their software, there is simply NO INCENTIVE for them to bother.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    OS/2.

And please, people, can we first wait until this D3D code actually DOES SOMETHING USEFUL?

It's a proof of concept that doesn't DO anything at the moment. It MIGHT offer an alternative to OpenGL on Linux distributions running Gallium3D some time in the future, but at the moment, it's a juicy litigation target that doesn't do anything. No wonder that not everybody is jumping on it.

Comment

From the link:

My understanding is that this is more than about legality of this code: Microsoft can sue whoever they want, with or without legal basis, and WINE developers want to publicly show beyond doubt that they we're not near even miles from Microsoft code, to deter Microsoft to sue them, and so incur in legal expenses.
                      I don't think anyone is seriously concerned that the code is actually illegal. It's all about maintaining distance from Microsoft's code to avoid nuisance lawsuits designed to drain a project of money rather than to actually win.

Comment

Working...
                      X