Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Details On The OpenGL Situation In KDE's KWin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    This is very surprising.

    I agree that Compiz is snappier, but my HD4550 has absolutely no problems running common Kwin effects in low power mode.
    interesting. What distro and version of that distro are you using? I could try your combination and see if that changes anything.

    EDIT:
    Oh and can you please also specify the versions of your graphic stack?

    Comment


    • I can't believe the mount of entitlement some people have around here.

      If KDE doesn't work for you then use Gnome. Easy.

      The guy's a volunteer for gods sake.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by tball View Post
        interesting. What distro and version of that distro are you using? I could try your combination and see if that changes anything.

        EDIT:
        Oh and can you please also specify the versions of your graphic stack?
        I'm using Gentoo -- stable tree mostly, nothing extravagant.

        Mesa, DDX and libdrm are from git (probably a couple of weeks old by now), kernel is 2.6.35.

        This is with profile power method, set to low profile

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          I can't believe the mount of entitlement some people have around here.

          If KDE doesn't work for you then use Gnome. Easy.

          The guy's a volunteer for gods sake.
          Sounds like, if linux doesn't work for you - use windows

          Comment


          • If Windows works for you, by all means do use it.

            But don't try to turn Linux into an improved version of Windows.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by sundown View Post
              Sounds like, if linux doesn't work for you - use windows
              Well if Linux doesn't run on the hardware you have then you either get different hardware or a different OS. Easy.

              But we have these people demanding the KWin dev do this or do that then he's volunteering his time and has communicated the reasons why he's unable to test every system configuration out there. It seems clearly fair for him to ask that those that use the software be prepared to test and submit bug reports.

              I would hope the trolls demanding fixes are also putting forward their time to help move forward the goals of the KDE desktop.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                But we have these people demanding the KWin dev do this or do that then he's volunteering his time and has communicated the reasons why he's unable to test every system configuration out there. It seems clearly fair for him to ask that those that use the software be prepared to test and submit bug reports.
                Something similar to grafx bot plugin in Firefox 4 for KDE would probably help tons. KDE development should really be directed towards a test-driven development if the resources are as scarce as people seem to say they are..

                Comment


                • Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Something similar to grafx bot plugin in Firefox 4 for KDE would probably help tons. KDE development should really be directed towards a test-driven development if the resources are as scarce as people seem to say they are..
                  The more test software the better as long as there's someone available to code it. With Martin saying his time is pretty much completely allocated to other things already some KDE users might have to come forward with more man power if they want their desktop of choice to prosper.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    The more test software the better as long as there's someone available to code it. With Martin saying his time is pretty much completely allocated to other things already some KDE users might have to come forward with more man power if they want their desktop of choice to prosper.
                    Right. That's assuming Martin has documented things well enough someone can actually realistically trivially replace him on the job... which isn't very likely given it's an open-source project and those are usually badly documented.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Right. That's assuming Martin has documented things well enough someone can actually realistically trivially replace him on the job... which isn't very likely given it's an open-source project and those are usually badly documented.
                      I wasn't thinking of anyone replacing him, just augmenting him.

                      I'd assume it's badly documented, but with someone talented out there with enough spare time ya never know what's possible.

                      It does seem unfair to me that there are people calling on him to do more though.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X