Intel's GLSL2 Branch Is Merged To Mesa Master

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
    What does Intel Benefit from its Army of Open Source OpenGL Devs?
    Intel doesn't have a closed source video driver. So unlike AMD and Nvidia who each have a big team of developers creating a blob driver that replaces large parts of X, Intel works with X and Mesa devs to adjust X to do what they need.

It avoids reinventing the wheel pretty much.
    And Intel isn't in the workstation graphics market like AMD and Nvidia, so they only need a simple driver, and don't need professional level support.

Comment

Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
      What does Intel Benefit from its Army of Open Source OpenGL Devs?
      The same benefit it gets from it's army of Windows developers: a working driver.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenWizard View Post
        I tried GLSL2 and it's still buggy. All walls in Warsow are black but the game runs a lot faster now.
        Looks like this has been fixed, as I can't reproduce this problem on i965.

Comment

Well, I can't seem to be able to compile Mesa-git anymore on my Slackware-current, as the GLSL2 merge has added a hard dependency on talloc, a library distributed within Samba, at least on Slack.
          The configure script does not seem to be able to find the library, while it is located in standard /use/lib64 path, and the headers are in /use/include. The version is 0.2, so it should not be very old.
          configure does not give a clue on why it chokes on this one.
          If anyone has an idea, I'll be gratefull.

Comment

Configure by default uses pkg-config to locate talloc. If your pkg-config regarding talloc is botched, you need to define TALLOC_CFLAGS and TALLOC_LIBS yourself. (note that usually if those aren't defined, pkg-config is used; hence even if you do have the headers and libs, check will fail)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I tried that but though it allows me to pass the configure stage, it fails with undefined references at compile time.
              I set something like "TALLOC_CFLAGS='-I/usr/include -l/usr/lib64' TALLOC_LIBS='/usr/lib64/libtalloc.so.2'" before the configure command. I guess I'm not doing this right but couldn't find a proper reference in Google and I'm not a compiler expert at all.

Comment

No, I think that's not quite it. Try using it like TALLOC_CFLAGS="-I/usr/include" TALLOC_LIBS="-L/usr/lib64 -ltalloc" or something along the lines.

Comment

Note that another option is creating /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/talloc.pl with contents
                  Code:
                  prefix=/usr
                  exec_prefix=/usr
                  libdir=/usr/lib64
                  includedir=/usr/include

Name: talloc 
                  Description: A hierarchical pool based memory system with destructors
                  Version: 2.0.1
                  Libs: -L${libdir} -ltalloc
                  Cflags: -I${includedir} 
                  URL: http://talloc.samba.org/
                  But that requires maintenance, in theory anyway. Your distro should really just setup a working pkg-config setup.

Comment

Code above is from Fedora package. Curse the edit window.

Comment

Thanks, the talloc.pc file worked, though not the trick of passing the ENV variables to configure.
                      I'll forward that to the Slack team. They do not give a .pc file yet because talloc is distributed within Samba and obviously used there only. I guess they'll have to adjust.

Comment

Working...
                      X