No announcement yet.

LLVMpipe: OpenGL With Gallium3D on Your CPU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article is particularly interesting, as I actually have an ATI Radeon X1950PRO 256MB graphics card...

Comment

Are the benefits from this really only usable by high-end cpus?
      I ask because it would be nice to have something extra for my old P4 laptop with a Radeon 345M (which is apparently R100, making it worse than my current Intel 945 card I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
        Are the benefits from this really only usable by high-end cpus?
        I ask because it would be nice to have something extra for my old P4 laptop with a Radeon 345M (which is apparently R100, making it worse than my current Intel 945 card I believe).
        From what I can gather: LLVM is faster than whatever happens witbhout one because LLVM takes advantage of multiple threads (so multiple cores, which a p4 doesn't have, right?) and fast instruction sets like SSE 3 and 4, which your p4 doesn't have, right?

So I am guessing that it is only for latest generation cpu's with at least two cores or more...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          From what I can gather: LLVM is faster than whatever happens witbhout one because LLVM takes advantage of multiple threads (so multiple cores, which a p4 doesn't have, right?) and fast instruction sets like SSE 3 and 4, which your p4 doesn't have, right?

So I am guessing that it is only for latest generation cpu's with at least two cores or more...
          I think later P4s actually included SSE3 and went up to 4 cores in the EE models, but judging by that video cards I would guess he has one of the earlier models. Maybe even without hyper-threading.

So in short, no, I'd give up on trying to get a software renderer running well on that laptop. You're probably looking at about 10% of the performance of this machine, and even that was only playable at very low resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by l8gravely View Post
            Would it be possible to include games like SMC into your mix as well? It's OpenGL, but a different sort of stress compared to the others.
            Submit a Phoronix Test Suite benchmarking profile for such games you want for inclusion and then they pretty much automatically get included in future articles.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

hey. I want to test llvmpipe but I got some errors when trying to compile with --enable-gallium-llvm. Anybody can confirm that ?

Comment

Does it work if you use scons instead? (Follow the instructions in the README in llvmpipe dir)

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Simple question: Good enough to run KDE 4.4 desktop effects with it on a Phenom 9950 X4 (not OC'd)?

That is all I would like to have for now... And while I of course now do have mesa, how come Kwin does not want to run desktop effects? Wierd...
                  I would be interested to know whether it can run GNOME Shell (which will not even run with the old MESA software rasteriser). The speed would also be interesting to see of course - as far as I can see, ninety percent of the time GNOME Shell is compositing 1:1 scaled face-on maps and rendering those 1:1 and face on - I can see at least some potential for optimising that in software rendering

Comment

MESA-classic
                    +-|04:33 PM|$|-> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 openarena +exec anholt 2>&1 | egrep -e '[0-9]+ frames'
                    840 frames 129.9 seconds 6.5 fps 102.0/154.7/409.0/36.5 ms
                    R600
                    +-|04:36 PM|$|-> openarena +exec anholt 2>&1 | egrep -e '[0-9]+ frames'
                    840 frames 14.2 seconds 59.2 fps 4.0/16.9/108.0/4.6 ms
                    MESA-llvmpipe
                    +-|04:36 PM|$|-> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 openarena +exec anholt 2>&1 | egrep -e '[0-9]+ frames'
                    840 frames 45.1 seconds 18.6 fps 32.0/53.7/1479.0/21.4 ms

Pretty impressive on the llvmpipe side amost a 3rd as fast as r600 is at the moment. Built on gentoo from git with llvm 2.7

Comment

It would be interesting to see benchmarks Intel Graphics vs llvmpipe.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                        It would be interesting to see benchmarks Intel Graphics vs llvmpipe.
                        Your wish is my command (at least when I'm bored).

E8400 @ 3 GHz vs X4500HD:
                        840 frames 53.5 seconds 15.7 fps 31.0/63.7/1382.0/19.5 ms

840 frames 7.6 seconds 111.2 fps 3.0/9.0/264.0/15.0 ms

llvm 2.6 here (on a shitty 3G connection so I don't wanna download big updates).

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                          Your wish is my command (at least when I'm bored).

E8400 @ 3 GHz vs X4500HD:
                          840 frames 53.5 seconds 15.7 fps 31.0/63.7/1382.0/19.5 ms

840 frames 7.6 seconds 111.2 fps 3.0/9.0/264.0/15.0 ms

llvm 2.6 here (on a shitty 3G connection so I don't wanna download big updates).

That doesn't seem right unless LLVM 2.6 makes that much difference or if there is that much difference between my gentoo and your ubuntu/debian? I mean I on an Athlon II M300 @ 2Ghz which shouldn't be a match for an E8400 which has much more cache and higher clock.

Oh btw some quake based games (fakk2) are playable in wine here after making sure it uses 64bit mesa instead of the 32bit one that comes with the emul-libs

Comment

apparently playable to me means 8 fps outdoors and 15ish indoors lol

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                              That doesn't seem right unless LLVM 2.6 makes that much difference or if there is that much difference between my gentoo and your ubuntu/debian? I mean I on an Athlon II M300 @ 2Ghz which shouldn't be a match for an E8400 which has much more cache and higher clock.

Oh btw some quake based games (fakk2) are playable in wine here after making sure it uses 64bit mesa instead of the 32bit one that comes with the emul-libs
                              Could be because this is a 32bit system, apparently 64bit is preferred. Didn't know it could make such a big difference though.

Comment

Ah IC ... I wonder what the benchmarks are on systems with 128bit fpus ...mine is only 64bit

Comment

Working...
                                X