Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct3D State Tracker Will Not Be Open-Source

Phoronix: Direct3D State Tracker Will Not Be Open-Source

Zack Rusin of VMware announced the other day that they are working on a DirectX 10/11 state tracker. This caused quite a discussion in our forums and now Zack has clarified his remarks...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk3NA

So no Direct3D to Linux... what a pity...

Comment

Hm. Not that much of a surprise. Still...VMWARE, I AM DISAPPOINT.

I agree with Zack, though: we really should support OpenGL. Therefore, I for one will not purchase any games that are tied to Windows.

Comment

Do they have a deal with Microsoft to have some NDA documentation of the Direct3D API to help with their implementation?

If so, then this explain why the state tracker cannot be open-sourced

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          So no Direct3D to Linux... what a pity...
          Not true. Joakim Sindholt is working on the open source Direct3D 9 state tracker _for Linux_ (the VMWare's one works only on Windows) and I think it's a matter of time until someone else starts working on other versions of Direct3D.

Comment

So is Windows considered its own Winsys?

Comment

Isn't a Gallium3D state tracker supposed to be OS-independent? Since the D3D state tracker Zack is talking about is Windows-dependent, I suspect it contains all sorts of badness.

Comment

If someone wants to have an open source dx tracker he could build it ... and it's not said, that vmware won't opensource this driver after a while ... when the commercial benefit of closed source is gone they have no need or interst to keep it closed.

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
                  Since the D3D state tracker Zack is talking about is Windows-dependent,
                  it's not, but D3D-apps are windows-dependant in ways that gallium cannot solve. Hence it'd be absolutely useless to run the D3D state tracker on linux. Even Wine doesn't want one.

Still, closed source? I guess they're afraid that virtualbox/KVM/others use G3D for 3d-accelerated windows guests, thus stealing vmware's new killer feature. That's only fair after vmware spent all the money, but still sad.

Comment

Direct3D is a closed source library on top of a hardware driver. ATI and nVidia are implementing a driver that is used by the library. A Direct3D state tracker would probably not re-implement the complete Direct3D library, so this state tracker would be windows only.

Comment

Working...
                    X