Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL Over Mesa, Gallium3D Discussion

Phoronix: OpenCL Over Mesa, Gallium3D Discussion

While NVIDIA and ATI/AMD have OpenCL support within their binary drivers, the open-source Mesa / Gallium3D stack is still lacking open-source support for the Open Computing Language on Linux. But the discussion surrounding OpenCL in Gallium3D has been renewed on the mailing list today.Since August there has been a branch that provides Clover, which is an OpenCL state tracker ("CL over [Gallium3D]"), but unlike other state trackers it hasn't been progressing at a brisk pace...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How big is the OpenCL language compared to e.g. OpenGL 3.2?

Comment

In terms of language OpenCL seems to be smaller than OpenGL. On the other hand, the implementation is more work than the language complexity suggests because of the need to run well on a wider range of targets than OpenGL.

I wonder why "coal" was suggested as a name rather than "chlorine" (Cl), which seemed like the obvious choice
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        In terms of language OpenCL seems to be smaller than OpenGL. On the other hand, the implementation is more work than the language complexity suggests because of the need to run well on a wider range of targets than OpenGL.
        I see.

I have always wondered how a new language is implemented. Is it "just" a huge series of regular expressions, that replaces the new language code with C code than then compiles it as C?

I wonder why "coal" was suggested as a name rather than "chlorine" (Cl), which seemed like the obvious choice
        I think it is funny, but I don't know why

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          I see.

I have always wondered how a new language is implemented. Is it "just" a huge series of regular expressions, that replaces the new language code with C code than then compiles it as C?

I think it is funny, but I don't know why
          look up compiler compiler, your head might explode (mostly because you are so close to correct)

Comment

Reading up a bit on lex and yacc might be useful :

This website is for sale! compilertools.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, compilertools.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
            Test signature

Comment

Reading up a bit on lex and yacc might be useful :

http://dinosaur.compilertools.net/
              This URL is made of win.

OpenCL has a pretty clean, object-oriented API, which is a welcome change of direction compared to OpenGL. On the other hand, it looks pretty difficult to implement in a performant fashion - each GPU will need its own optimizations, more or less.

On the other hand, a Gallium implementation that runs on the CPU would be sweet. Not only would this improve portability / interoperability, it would also make math-heavy applications much more feasible on VM-based languages like Python, C# and the like.

Some preliminary testing here indicates a performance improvement between 5-50x when using AMD's CPU implementation instead of .Net code. More testing is necessary, but the result isn't too shabby!

Comment

Working...
              X