Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMware Releases Its New Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VMware Releases Its New Gallium3D Driver

    Phoronix: VMware Releases Its New Gallium3D Driver

    Last Friday during the Gallium3D workshop we learned that the Tungsten Graphics developers that were bought out by VMware have been working on a virtual Gallium3D driver that would be used by guest operating systems running within VMware's virtualization platform. This is especially interesting considering that it will allow virtualized guests to have accelerated access to X11, OpenGL, OpenCL, X-Video, XvMC, and all sorts of other possibilities that's just limited by what's supported by the available state trackers. This afternoon Jakob Bornecrantz has pushed out this initial Gallium3D driver for use in VMware guests...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzcxMQ

  • #2
    I'm not too up on Gallium 3d, but would it be possible to write a Windows driver with DirectX that does the same thing?

    When you need to run Linux on the host and guest systems, having accelerated 3d/video in the guest isn't nearly as useful I would think.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by russell_h View Post
      I'm not too up on Gallium 3d, but would it be possible to write a Windows driver with DirectX that does the same thing?

      When you need to run Linux on the host and guest systems, having accelerated 3d/video in the guest isn't nearly as useful I would think.
      There is potential. However, if somebody contributes a DirectX state tracker, then all these drivers would become quite usable on Windows too. As it is, it might be useful for ReactOS... Who knows?

      Comment


      • #4
        "First two?" I'm hurt. dri and mesa are directly derived from the classic DRI stack. egl's pretty reliable too, and I secretly believe egl and wgl have been deployed in production systems already.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
          "First two?" I'm hurt. dri and mesa are directly derived from the classic DRI stack. egl's pretty reliable too, and I secretly believe egl and wgl have been deployed in production systems already.
          Is wgl the WinGL state tracker?

          EGL, meh. Probably with Maemo 6. Mesa, obviously. DRI? Are we talking about DRI1 or DRI2?

          Comment


          • #6
            What does vmware SVGA stand for?

            Scalable Virtual Graphics Architecture?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
              Is wgl the WinGL state tracker?
              From http://www.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus
              wgl: Windowing system trackers similar to dri for MS Windows.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Louise View Post
                What does vmware SVGA stand for?

                Scalable Virtual Graphics Architecture?
                Stupid Virtual Graphics Addtion for some proprietary piece of junk

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just love freetards.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How about KVM?

                    Can anybody shed any light on how far this driver is from being used with KVM?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      I just love freetards.
                      Agreed. With all of the work that VMWare/Tungsten have put into Gallium3D to this point, I think it's fine if they want to donate some Mesa Gallium3D driver that they can use in VMWare. There's nothing (besides possible/probable unsuitability for the purpose) preventing someone else from using the same code in another driver.

                      VMWare definitely benefits, but so does the Mesa project as a whole.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        More importantly, VMWare is committed to doing this process correctly. There's more than a few poor-faith efforts in the community; VIA's my favorite example, although some of the older devs have horror stories of Trident, S3, and others. Seeing code that is not just an undocumented blob without proper DRM, and written according to kernel and Mesa rules, is refreshingly awesome.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
                          More importantly, VMWare is committed to doing this process correctly. There's more than a few poor-faith efforts in the community; VIA's my favorite example, although some of the older devs have horror stories of Trident, S3, and others. Seeing code that is not just an undocumented blob without proper DRM, and written according to kernel and Mesa rules, is refreshingly awesome.
                          Does the VMware developers communicate with the rest of the developers, or are they doing everything in-house, and just pushes they patches regardless of what others are working on?

                          What I mean is; Are the any collaboration between VMware and the community?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Since this is just a virtual Gallium3D driver - I assume it requires a real Gallium3D driver for your hardware to be running outside the virtual environment no? (ie - to pass the TGSI out to a real driver to convert to commands for your own hardware)

                            So what benefits will we actually see when this is released? (Are there any Gallium3D drivers in or close to production?)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Louise, I think SVGA just refers to the emulated "Super VGA" (ie an enhanced VGA chip) that VMWare has been providing for some years to provide graphics on guest OSes. The emulated SVGA chip received hardware acceleration extensions recently but driver support was relatively weak until now.

                              There's info available at : http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmware-svga/

                              Craig73 - AFAIK the emulated SVGA uses OpenGL calls on the host OS to execute commands sent from the guest driver stack. It probably does make sense to replace this with Gallium3D calls on the host OS in the future but that would be an optimization and isn't necessary to make things run today. That's what the docco says anyways.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X