No announcement yet.

Gallium3D Support For Haiku Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are so jumping the bandwagon. Can't you just stick to linux?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Ubuntu is supposed to be the slick, stripped down Linux distro and it runs like shit on a pentium3. Now if I would turn all these features of, then I would not get all the advantages of Linux...
      wait... what?

antix is a sleek/stripped down linux, puppy is, DSL is, arch can be.. there are many more, but ubuntu is NOT one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
        You guys are so jumping the bandwagon. Can't you just stick to linux?
        Why not Linux AND Haiku?

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
          Why not Linux AND Haiku?
          Because I don't want the new kid on the block to take all the fruits earned by linux in all those past hard fought years just like that.

Comment

Because I don't want the new kid on the block to take all the fruits earned by linux in all those past hard fought years just like that.
            I can understand why you might feel that way, because I did too. But I eventually realized that Haiku has the opportunity to shine where Linux doesn't. It is a different thing entirely. Linux is a kernel and when placed with a set of utilities, makes a great operating system. Unfortunately, I have learned very well that people who do not care about computers will never see things the way we do. They see computers as an appliance. You switch it on, expect some kind of "customer service" and switch it off again. They simply do not care about the computer and view it entirely as a tool, much in the same way we do not care about.. maybe a bus. However, I learned that it is not fair to blame those people just because they are not interested enough to switch to Linux. Free and open source software developers do not owe those people anything at all. So, if some developers choose to implement another system, you should not see it as a threat to Linux. Haiku was never intended to threaten Linux or BSD. It does however, (I believe) become a much easier to understand concept for those people that really do not care about computers, but just want to get the job done (pretty much in the way Ubuntu has succeeded, and is succeeding as a distribution).

I will continue to use Linux for a very long time, along with NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris and Haiku.

Linux will never die out simply due to the fact that people who do not care about computers will not nprmally choose to install it. However, Haiku can certainly thrive in that area... and why shouldn't it?

Comment

As long as it is a free OS, it should have the absolute support of the opensource community.

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
                I can understand why you might feel that way, because I did too. But I eventually realized that Haiku has the opportunity to shine where Linux doesn't. It is a different thing entirely. Linux is a kernel and when placed with a set of utilities, makes a great operating system. Unfortunately, I have learned very well that people who do not care about computers will never see things the way we do. They see computers as an appliance. You switch it on, expect some kind of "customer service" and switch it off again. They simply do not care about the computer and view it entirely as a tool, much in the same way we do not care about.. maybe a bus. However, I learned that it is not fair to blame those people just because they are not interested enough to switch to Linux. Free and open source software developers do not owe those people anything at all. So, if some developers choose to implement another system, you should not see it as a threat to Linux. Haiku was never intended to threaten Linux or BSD. It does however, (I believe) become a much easier to understand concept for those people that really do not care about computers, but just want to get the job done (pretty much in the way Ubuntu has succeeded, and is succeeding as a distribution).

I will continue to use Linux for a very long time, along with NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris and Haiku.

Linux will never die out simply due to the fact that people who do not care about computers will not nprmally choose to install it. However, Haiku can certainly thrive in that area... and why shouldn't it?
                I totally agree with that.
                It's almost exactly what I think.

Comment

What I never understood about Haiku and other, similar projects is: Why do they not use the Linux kernel?

Even the BSDs have serious trouble keeping up with the DRM driver development, and I expect Haiku to be in an even worse position. Seriously, writing drivers for all hardware out there, taking into account all the quirks that might exist, and so on, is a lot of work. Why do those people not build on the massive amount of work that already goes into the Linux kernel to solve that exact problem?

Obviously, Haiku has a very different philosophy from Linux which means that it might need Haiku-specific kernel extensions and so on, but with Git those could easily be maintained in a Haiku-tree essentially forever if Linus doesn't want to merge them into his tree.

Your users do not care about the underlying kernel, as long as it works. What they do care about is applications and (for developers) development frameworks. So if you're serious about creating a kick-ass replacement operating system, *userspace* is what you should focus on.

Trying to reimplement all those hardware drivers is just an amazingly dumb waste of time.

Comment

Afaik the reason why they have their own kernel is that they're reimplementing BeOS which was at a time apparently quite a popular operating system and its kernel was as far as I've understood quite different from what Linux is. Whether or not all of this makes sense or not, I've no idea. I don't personally think people should be forbidden for having whatever software development hobbies they want. After all, in sports terms, it'd be a bit like people lobbying for banning American football because we could just all play soccer.

Comment

Obviously people can hack on whatever the hell they want - hey, I also started writing my own kernel once. It's just that the Haiku people seem to care about the desktop more than anything, so it seems a bit odd that they would voluntarily waste their time in kernel land. But maybe that's just me

Comment

Working...
                      X