Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenVG State Tracker For Gallium3D Tomorrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenVG State Tracker For Gallium3D Tomorrow

    Phoronix: OpenVG State Tracker For Gallium3D Tomorrow

    Zack Rusin, a well known employee of Tungsten Graphics (well, VMware), has announced quite the present for Mesa developers and those looking forward to the widespread adoption of the Gallium3D graphics driver architecture. Tomorrow he will be pushing out perhaps the most interesting state tracker yet, one for OpenVG. The OpenVG state tracker will make it possible for any Gallium3D-based graphics hardware driver to now support this low-level vector graphics API commonly used on hand-held devices with hardware acceleration...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzI0MA

  • #2
    can anything beat the awesomeness of gallium3d?
    cant wait for all the stuff to be done...
    opengl 3.0/3.1
    opencl
    maybe direct3d
    this is going to so awesome!

    Comment


    • #3
      which applications/libraries have backends for OpenVG and will benefit from the implementation ??

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        which applications/libraries have backends for OpenVG and will benefit from the implementation ??
        Anything that draws lines on the screen. Which means pretty much everything that uses GTK or Qt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
          Anything that draws lines on the screen. Which means pretty much everything that uses GTK or Qt.
          well thats nice
          having all that accelerated would be usefull ^^

          Comment


          • #6
            Can someone tell me what exactly is a "state tracker" ? Does that mean that the people at tungsten have implemented something that will interface libraries and graphic card through OpenVG for 2D vector acceleration ?

            All the news from Gallium 3D sound great, but I still don't understand what exactly is the aim of the project (maybe someone has a link toward an handy explaining page...) and I wonder when we will be able to experience some of those great promises !

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
              Can someone tell me what exactly is a "state tracker" ? Does that mean that the people at tungsten have implemented something that will interface libraries and graphic card through OpenVG for 2D vector acceleration ?

              All the news from Gallium 3D sound great, but I still don't understand what exactly is the aim of the project (maybe someone has a link toward an handy explaining page...) and I wonder when we will be able to experience some of those great promises !
              http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...re-it-fits-in/

              Comment


              • #8
                Guys, this is all cool and it looks like the next generation open source linux graphics will probably bit the crap out of the proprietary world.

                In the meantime, anyone knows if there is an indication that we could get 3D hardware acceleration in all ATI cards (through the radeon/radeonhd drivers) before this year ends? This will be a huge milestone! (opensource finally delivering a full, real world graphics solution for one of the two big vendors)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Guys, this is all cool and it looks like the next generation open source linux graphics will probably bit the crap out of the proprietary world.

                  In the meantime, anyone knows if there is an indication that we could get 3D hardware acceleration in all ATI cards (through the radeon/radeonhd drivers) before this year ends? This will be a huge milestone! (opensource finally delivering a full, real world graphics solution for one of the two big vendors)
                  as far as i know r300-500 are in the works...
                  and the work on r600-700 is supposed to start when the basic 3d work is done...
                  but you sould ask bridgman for more info
                  Last edited by Pfanne; 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Short answer is "yes". I started typing a longer answer but it got too long, so let's stick with "yes"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks a lot for the answers, Pfanne and Bridgman

                      Bridgman: long answer? Bring it on!

                      I just built a Phenom X3 box on a board with a Radeon HD 3200 GPU, and I am hoping I can stay with ATI (voting with my wallet, you know, I do appreciate their support for open drivers). On the other hand, fglrx is coring in Ubuntu 9.04 on my hardware

                      Ah, here is a nice summary of where we are, for anyone interested:
                      http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                        which applications/libraries have backends for OpenVG and will benefit from the implementation ??
                        "OpenVG™ is a royalty-free, cross-platform API that provides a low-level hardware acceleration interface for vector graphics libraries such as Flash and SVG" from the OpenVG home page.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That seems to demonstrate the value Gallium has for putting certain APIs on top of the GPU. Nice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                            Thanks a lot for the answers, Pfanne and Bridgman

                            Bridgman: long answer? Bring it on!

                            I just built a Phenom X3 box on a board with a Radeon HD 3200 GPU, and I am hoping I can stay with ATI (voting with my wallet, you know, I do appreciate their support for open drivers). On the other hand, fglrx is coring in Ubuntu 9.04 on my hardware

                            Ah, here is a nice summary of where we are, for anyone interested:
                            http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature


                            Yes this is very nice. I hope this is kept up to date as it should help very much in my future hardware purchases. I have a feeling that my next machine is going to be AMD.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by remm View Post
                              That seems to demonstrate the value Gallium has for putting certain APIs on top of the GPU. Nice.
                              Yes it does.

                              If Gallium really is able to isolate the hardware acceleration from the API stacks it supports then this should be a tremendous benefit to the Free software drivers.

                              Previously each video card type essentially ended up with it's own specific OpenGL stack. Sure it was still using Mesa, but the amount of video card specific code was quite a bit.

                              So this leads to a lot of spottiness when it comes to API support for applications.. The Intel drivers may be buggy with X and the radeon drivers may be fast with X, but buggy with Y. Hopefully now we can have a much more unified and highly optimized API stacks that are much more consistant across different video cards. That sort of thing would go a long long way to making application developer's and user's lives easier in Linux.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X