Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gallium3D-Capable Mesa 7.5 Release This Week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D-Capable Mesa 7.5 Release This Week!

Phoronix: Gallium3D-Capable Mesa 7.5 Release This Week!

It was just three months ago that Mesa 7.3 was released and then work on stabilizing this graphics stack to form Mesa 7.4 began. When the development began on Mesa 7.5, the Gallium3D architecture was merged to master...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All that work into developing Mesa/Gallium for basically nothing .. NONE of the binary drivers (which everyone uses) support it so all that good work goes to waste.

Comment

Let's not feed the troll.

Anyways, I'm quite excited for this release. Gallium3D is probably the one element missing for moving ATI and Intel OSS drivers to performance parity. I wonder if Ubuntu will have it for the fall release? Fedora definitely will.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
        NONE of the binary drivers (which everyone uses)
        I wouldn't say that... At least with any ATI card unless you're willing to sacrifice video playback for 3d (I'm trying to think of a Linux app I use that has 3d..?) then you're running open source drivers. If you have Intel you're running open source drivers. And the Nouveau drivers are progressing to the point where even nvidia users won't be left out in the cold much longer.

Plus, is there any reason the closed source drivers can't switch to this eventually?

On a completely different topic, what is the status of the Gallium 3d Cell driver? A PS3 would make a great MythTV frontend if someone can get a stable driver with video acceleration.

Comment

So what use a HD 4890 has, if you can only use it to watch movie? Spending $400 bucks for what even an integrated graphics could do? You are spending money to buy a fantasy, and maybe that's people would do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            So what use a HD 4890 has, if you can only use it to watch movie? Spending $400 bucks for what even an integrated graphics could do? You are spending money to buy a fantasy, and maybe that's people would do anyway.
            So, you just go and buy a GeForce GTX 295, which you can use for gaming + watching movies with hardware acceleration, thanx to nvidia's drivers.

Yes, they are closed source. I don't give a fuck. They work.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              Er, no, I watch movies on an HD 4850 then reboot to Windows where I can play better games anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                All that work into developing Mesa/Gallium for basically nothing .. NONE of the binary drivers (which everyone uses) support it so all that good work goes to waste.
                I don't think exposing Gallium3D as a general purpose API is as important as being able to build all the different acceleration APIs which *are* exposed by binary drivers on a common, solid foundation.

Most of the discussion around Gallium3D API is related to using it for things like compute, 2D and video acceleration, ie functions "inside" a binary driver package
                Test signature

Comment

Interesting, I expected to see 7.5 little later but with interesting stuff. If 7.5 will come so soon, I guess we have to wait for 7.7 to see radeon-rewrite merged and new openchrome 3D stack.

What about some special gift like r6xx/r7xx 3D driver for 7.7?

Comment

Originally posted by russell_h View Post
                    Er, no, I watch movies on an HD 4850 then reboot to Windows where I can play better games anyway.
                    I dumped my 4850 2 weeks ago because even watching a movie in Linux is a painful experience.

Want resize the video window? You might have to try again / 3-2 times if it gives you a pure white window.

Full screen video locks up your system when play to the end? You might have to press the little button named "RESET" on your case.

Why are running people in the movie been split into two halves? That's anti V-Sync in effect and they are not interested to get it fixed.

In conclusion, even trying to enjoy a movie is not possible using fglrx.

I might be able to just pop back my X850XT and use Overlay video output so at least it V-Syncs right.

Comment

Working...
                    X