Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases Yet Another Linux Driver [2008]

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases Yet Another Linux Driver

In the past week we've seen the NVIDIA 177.67 binary driver for Linux which was outdone by the NVIDIA 177.68 driver just two days later. The 177.70 Beta driver was then released this morning with fixes and other enhancements since the 177.68 driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjY4MQ

Back in March Phoronix wagered a laptop for how confident they were about an NVIDIA open source strategy. Half a year later, Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool?

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
      Back in March Phoronix wagered a laptop for how confident they were about an NVIDIA open source strategy. Half a year later, Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool?

They gave their answer a few months back

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2588

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

Right, and the day after (June 24th) Phoronix was still holding onto hope that an open-source strategy will be announced at Nvision:
        If NVIDIA intends to make an announcement of an open-source strategy, we are betting on it taking place at their NVISION 08 conference in August.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
          Right, and the day after (June 24th) Phoronix was still holding onto hope that an open-source strategy will be announced at Nvision:
          Today the news came that X58 will have SLI. NVIDIA had to change their policy or be out of the game... On Open Source drivers from NVIDIA, I think this is probably at least 1-2 year off. Much will be determined on how AMD(ATI) does saleswise I think...

But that said, NVIDIA has supported Linux a lot more than ATI ever bothered, so ATI has some work to be done in order to get a better rep. Seemed that AMD was the tipping point.

Comment

Originally posted by oblidor View Post
            On Open Source drivers from NVIDIA, I think this is probably at least 1-2 year off.
            I will avoid NVIDIA hardware like the plague until they take concrete steps to provide a viable open source driver.
            Last edited by stan; 08-29-2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

is the best person

Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool.

Comment

Originally posted by ovi44 View Post
                Nvision 2008 has come and gone with no open source announcement in sight. Has NVIDIA played Phoronix (and all the others who've bought their junk hardware on the false promise) for a fool.
                I don't think anyone bought their hardwardware from nvidia based on it's opensource strategy. They bought it because it works period.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

Yes, their claim is that it is useless. Now, THAT's arrogance, folks.

Comment

Nice!

OpenGL 3.0, suspend/resume work great, nothing else to ask from me

(except maybe to release the driver as open-source so loud people who aren't helping coding nv but posting on forums instead can keep quiet!)

Comment

Wow... I would feel ashamed if I were AMD... NVIDIA is just number 1, period.

Comment

BUNG!

i picked the worst time to sell my 8800GTS and buy an ATI 4870 (about 4 months ago)

ARGH!!!!!!!!! ATI sucks!

most people don't care about OSS, they care about stuff freaking working!
                        ATI: worse drivers, no proper hardware decoding, no compiz with movie playback, lagging support for latest XServer

ATI, you suck, get your act together, or all my new gfx cards will be NVIDIA.

All people do is talk about how in the future ATI will be better, and that it's improving.

I heard that over a year ago, and there's been no change

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                          BUNG!

i picked the worst time to sell my 8800GTS and buy an ATI 4870 (about 4 months ago)

ARGH!!!!!!!!! ATI sucks!

most people don't care about OSS, they care about stuff freaking working!
                          ATI: worse drivers, no proper hardware decoding, no compiz with movie playback, lagging support for latest XServer

ATI, you suck, get your act together, or all my new gfx cards will be NVIDIA.

All people do is talk about how in the future ATI will be better, and that it's improving.

I heard that over a year ago, and there's been no change
                          Please get your act together yourself, comments as "ATI SUCKS" don't have any value in this discussion at all. AMD just released one of the essential pieces in order to have a working driver for the latest hardware (R600/R700 documentation & registers), so they are definitely working on the issue.

Where NVIDIA might indeed provide a at the moment more functional driver, I'm very confident the path AMD is walking will prove to be much better in the long run. When DRI2/KMS will been fully operation and the open-source drivers have been ported to Gallium, I think NVIDIA's drivers won't be leading no more / as strong as it now is. Time will tell

Also, users are now very dependent on the work NVIDIA is delivering. When they redefine their priorities (which could always happen, given the financial unstability) and minimize the linux support, users won't have those functional and up to date drivers anymore, whereas AMD's effort will more or less guarantee a working driver as long as open-source developers maintain the code.

It remains a personal choice though, which I do respect, but you might consider a more civilized response next time.

Comment

Does Phoronix have any plan for a reviewing article on 2D/3D performance for the Nvidia driver(particularly the 173, 177 and 180 branch)?
                            I heard that the 2D performance has been boosted in the 180 driver, but there are also some complains regarding significant 3D performance issues in the 180 driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                              (except maybe to release the driver as open-source so loud people who aren't helping coding nv but posting on forums instead can keep quiet!)
                              Better code nouveau rather than nv. In both cases you have to code in blind and nv is crap. Btw. I like nvidia in some part, because they release drivers quite often.

Thankfully my GF 7600GT which I bought yesterday was broken so I will buy AMD/Ati card now. I want to support OS friendly companies and stay away from proprietary blobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X