Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Re-Clocking Is Way Faster, Shows Much Progress For Open-Source NVIDIA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nouveau Re-Clocking Is Way Faster, Shows Much Progress For Open-Source NVIDIA

    Phoronix: Nouveau Re-Clocking Is Way Faster, Shows Much Progress For Open-Source NVIDIA

    Earlier this week on Phoronix we covered the steps to trying out Nouveau re-clocking with Linux 3.16, assuming you're running a supported NVIDIA GPU that can currently be statically re-clocked using this reverse-engineered graphics driver. While the support is still experimental and isn't intended for end-users, here are some fresh benchmarks of the Nouveau driver DRM code for Linux 3.16 when re-clocked.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20611

  • #2
    GTX 650 - 0f - Warsow 1.5 @ 1080p - 69,32 FPS
    GTX 650 - 337.25 - Warsow 1.5 @ 1080p - 120,93 FPS

    Still some way to go.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      GTX 650 - 0f - Warsow 1.5 @ 1080p - 69,32 FPS
      GTX 650 - 337.25 - Warsow 1.5 @ 1080p - 120,93 FPS

      Still some way to go.
      That is ~60% which is fine just from setuped reclocking , they need to do many optimizations to bring that to near blob level . radeon has hyperz on top of around that perf, but disabled by default .

      Are there some at least visible rendering issues in those games Michael? If not, that is cool .
      Last edited by dungeon; 06-20-2014, 06:29 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Once toying with the performance states, the graphics cards immediately jump to 100% fan speed and can be extremely noisy for the higher-end graphics cards.
        This patch should fix the problem!

        Comment


        • #5
          Those which work don't have a boost mode for the gpu, so I suppose it is the cause of the issue with 0f. Too bad 0a has bad memory bandwidth, while the gpu boost itself is rather useless.

          Comment


          • #6
            Impressive.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by remm View Post
              Those which work don't have a boost mode for the gpu, so I suppose it is the cause of the issue with 0f. Too bad 0a has bad memory bandwidth, while the gpu boost itself is rather useless.
              Boost isn't what you think it is (ie. not what nvidia marketed).

              But yes, the proprietary driver can squeeze a little more perf and a little less power consumption using this technique.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sooo

                Basically confirming what I've been saying. This time next year, nouveau is going to be a high performance 3d driver.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MPF View Post
                    This patch should fix the problem!
                    On my GTX 670 it doesn't work , sometimes i see the temperature on sensors , but most of the times it just show N/A and fan is always at 100%

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      lol - nailed it


                      They're fools. You should eat them.


                      let's see when nouveau with re-clocking is at least roughly usable for a wider audience (without graphical corruptions, hardlocks, ...)


                      great work devs !
                      Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                        You Sir just made my day

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Very nice improvements to many benchmarks. The 740SC doesn't look like it's GPU bottlenecked based on the performance scaling (or the clocks aren't scaling properly as reported), but the other cards definitely improve.

                          Congratulations to those who are working on the Nouveau kernel drivers, you've earned it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                            Basically confirming what I've been saying. This time next year, nouveau is going to be a high performance 3d driver.
                            Not unless nvidia starts supplying info. Just look at how many years it took to solve it for these very few cards. How about others and new cards that will come out later? All have to be reverse-engineered which will probably be a slower process than nvidia releasing new cards.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by eydee View Post
                              Not unless nvidia starts supplying info. Just look at how many years it took to solve it for these very few cards. How about others and new cards that will come out later? All have to be reverse-engineered which will probably be a slower process than nvidia releasing new cards.
                              No work happened on reclocking for quite some time. Devs are getting back at it though.

                              On my side, I am not done with thermal management and perf monitoring.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X