No announcement yet.

Nouveau Picks Up Slightly Better OpenGL 4.0 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Yes, I understand that. I guess this is just one of those things that I do not find newsworthy, but other people do.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post
      Well, it's not, not at all. imirkin can and enjoys working on opengl, if you told him to stop working on that to concentrate on reclocking or whatever else he may decide to stop contributing to nouveau alltogether, because since you're not paid you must at least enjoy what you're doing. Now where's the gain?
      The gain is that he then decides to go work where he's welcome on the radeon team and helps out that driver instead.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        The gain is that he then decides to go work where he's welcome on the radeon team and helps out that driver instead.
        The theory being that I care about destructive criticism from people who don't contribute to nouveau? Interesting. I don't And I feel very welcome on the nouveau project, and would highly recommend it as an interesting place to start to anyone looking to try GPU dev.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think there's any demand for tessellation shaders / subroutines atm., so I think nobody will work on these massive features any time soon. Which is unfortunate, because I'd totally like to try out shader subroutines. =/ I wonder if they can be implemented on GL3 hardware..

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            Unfortunately I don't think there's any demand for tessellation shaders / subroutines atm., so I think nobody will work on these massive features any time soon. Which is unfortunate, because I'd totally like to try out shader subroutines. =/ I wonder if they can be implemented on GL3 hardware..
            Actually the nvc0 driver already has a bunch of the necessary support for tessellation (and there's no way it'll happen on nv50 -- while it could be emulated, it would be very slow, thus useless). But there is a lot of infrastructure missing (glsl, mesa core, gallium), and it'll require someone who knows what they're doing to implement it (i.e. not me). My hope is that the Intel guys will be doing the glsl/core bits soon. I _think_ shader subroutines should be possible on nv50; they're definitely going to be possible on nvc0. But again, the biggest challenge is actually the plumbing. By the time that's done, the work left for the driver is actually relatively small.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
              Actually the nvc0 driver already has a bunch of the necessary support for tessellation (and there's no way it'll happen on nv50 -- while it could be emulated, it would be very slow, thus useless). But there is a lot of infrastructure missing (glsl, mesa core, gallium), and it'll require someone who knows what they're doing to implement it (i.e. not me). My hope is that the Intel guys will be doing the glsl/core bits soon. I _think_ shader subroutines should be possible on nv50; they're definitely going to be possible on nvc0. But again, the biggest challenge is actually the plumbing. By the time that's done, the work left for the driver is actually relatively small.
              Yeah, adding two new shader stages sounds like heaps of infrastructure work. Even if Intel takes on the glsl part, you still have to define new TGSI instructions, right?

Comment

Imirkin: Thank you for all your hard work on this project.

I am most grateful for the work you and the other nouveau developers are doing towards the NVIDIA driver support on Linux. It's important work. Writing code is hard, working on Open Source projects is hard. Not everyone is good at it, or skilled at it. I have a lot of difficulty concentrating on projects so I'm grateful to all the developers who are able to work and complete tasks they set their minds to. The Nouveau development work is fantastic. If you'd asked anyone 3 years ago if they'd get as much done as they have, a lot of people would have thought you were crazy. It's inspiring to see how far the drivers have come and how little is left to be done. People whining about OpenGL 4.3/4.4 don't understand that in 3 years Nouveau has made more progress with OpenGL support, than Wine has made with DirectX support in the entire lifetime of the Wine Project. Thank you for your hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  Yeah, adding two new shader stages sounds like heaps of infrastructure work. Even if Intel takes on the glsl part, you still have to define new TGSI instructions, right?
                  What instructions? It's just a question of adding the piping between the stages, which will largely mirror what GLSL has. The TGSI modifications shouldn't be too difficult... probably just adding a bunch of TGSI_SEMANTIC_* and modifying code to deal with the additional stages. But the core gallium logic knows fairly little about shaders, so it really shouldn't be too bad. (Yeah, famous last words...)

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                    What instructions? It's just a question of adding the piping between the stages, which will largely mirror what GLSL has. The TGSI modifications shouldn't be too difficult... probably just adding a bunch of TGSI_SEMANTIC_* and modifying code to deal with the additional stages. But the core gallium logic knows fairly little about shaders, so it really shouldn't be too bad. (Yeah, famous last words...)
                    I'm not sure.. maybe not instructions. But you need a way to define input/output registers via TGSI for tessellation, right? I mean the same way vertex position/fragment color is handled. I suppose that's what the SEMANTIC tokens are for?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      That would make my day.

Comment

Working...
                      X