Nouveau "NVC0" Gets Accelerated Video Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
    Sure, but ... that's not really fully-FOSS.
    Baby steps man, baby steps
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
      Sure, but ... that's not really fully-FOSS.
      Well, I hate to stay it, but even this would make me quite happy with my radeon... hdmi audio on aruba, too.

Comment

Wow, kudos again to the nouveau devs!

I've gotta say, the first time I heard about nouveau many many years ago when it was still in its infancy I thought "cool project, but the devs will probably get tired fast and it will be yet another possibly cool thing that never was". How glad I am to be proven wrong again and again, you rock!

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          Wow, kudos again to the nouveau devs!

I've gotta say, the first time I heard about nouveau many many years ago when it was still in its infancy I thought "cool project, but the devs will probably get tired fast and it will be yet another possibly cool thing that never was". How glad I am to be proven wrong again and again, you rock!
          Agreed!

It seemed hopeless to me. How wrong I was!

Comment

Can not you just get permission from Nvidia for redistribution of firmware?

I mean, its useless for anyone BUT for Nvidia GPU owners.

It still will not be FOSS, but nobody would have to digg into proprietary driver in order to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Can not you just get permission from Nvidia for redistribution of firmware?

I mean, its useless for anyone BUT for Nvidia GPU owners.

It still will not be FOSS, but nobody would have to digg into proprietary driver in order to get it working.
              That would be a nice start if nVidia would allow the firmware to be redistributed (unmodified in any way of course) so it could be included in the debian firmware-linux-nonfree package for example

Wonder if anyone has approached nVidia about that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                That would be a nice start if nVidia would allow the firmware to be redistributed (unmodified in any way of course) so it could be included in the debian firmware-linux-nonfree package for example

Wonder if anyone has approached nVidia about that idea?
                We actually thought about that but no-one took the time to write an email yet. If you want to write it and forward it to us, feel free to

Comment

Congrats to the noveau-team. Indeed when buying hardware, one should be able to program it, and not be locked into OS choice. Incredible lame of NVIDIA not to release specs. Peace Be With You.

Comment

Working...
                  X