No announcement yet.

Nouveau Driver Remains Much Slower Than NVIDIA's Official Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just say this..... OOBE...... OSS wins....

Comment

In other news. Water is wet.

Comment

This is a fun thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          This is a fun thread...
          With all the clowns coming out of the woodwork

Comment

shows how much people dont understand

not that its any of their business anyway

Comment

I think the difference of performance between the 9800GT and 9800GTX is a sign of big trouble within nouveau.

On top of that, the whole article is pretty useless for anyone using a proper video card. I mean, the 9800GTX is ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Nouveau Driver Remains Much Slower Than NVIDIA's Official Driver

While benchmarks this week have shown the Nouveau driver can be faster with the Linux 3.8 kernel, further benchmarks have shown that this reverse-engineered open-source driver for supporting the spectrum of NVIDIA GPUs is still at a significant loss compared to NVIDIA's official but proprietary Linux graphics driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18344

Perhaps I missed something but why doesn't Michael run the Nouveau drivers at their highest speeds when possible?
                I've a Quadro FX 570M that has three clock levels. The highest level is core 475 shader 950 memory 700, while stock level is 275, 550, 300, respectively. A rather massive difference.
                If used this for gaming I'd always put it at the highest speed levels. I'd imagine most gamers would do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I think the difference of performance between the 9800GT and 9800GTX is a sign of big trouble within nouveau.

On top of that, the whole article is pretty useless for anyone using a proper video card. I mean, the 9800GTX is ancient.
                  i think the difference is due to them having slightly DIFFERENT CHIPS
                  jesus

proper video card ?
                  i have a 8800GT and its better then most new cards

Comment

xrandr --panning or xorg.conf virtual

The last time I checked (the nouveau driver from OpenSuse 2012.2) I could not get either

xrandr --fb <mxn> --panning <mxn>...

or

xorg.conf/Section "Screen"/Subsection "Display"/virtual <m> <n>

to work with the Nouveau driver, which is pretty much a show-stopper for me.
                    Is there any chance it works with the new version? ...or that someday this
                    defect will be fixed?

Comment

It doesn't seem to be "much slower", rather "reasonably fast, but slower then proprietary". Regarding trolls above, stable OSS driver will be great, even if it is 10% slower (most people wouldn't notice) because it will be much more stable (tested by millions of people) which makes difference especially for older cards, that companies tend to ignore. Also, security can be reasonably checked, rechecked and fixed by experience kernel devs, closed binary code is simply potential security and maintenance problem. And last but not least, having ALL drivers in Kernel, eventually, will make life of developers lot easier, especially regarding refactoring of various APIs.

Comment

Working...
                      X