Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-Way NVIDIA Nouveau GPU Comparison

Phoronix: 8-Way NVIDIA Nouveau GPU Comparison

After earlier this week delivering a 12-way AMD Radeon graphics card comparison with the open-source Linux Gallium3D graphics driver, being published today is a similar comparison on the NVIDIA side. Tested for this article were eight NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards from multiple hardware generations while using the very latest open-source Nouveau driver code.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great performance with the 9800GTX

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: 8-Way NVIDIA Nouveau GPU Comparison

After earlier this week delivering a 12-way AMD Radeon graphics card comparison with the open-source Linux Gallium3D graphics driver, being published today is a similar comparison on the NVIDIA side. Tested for this article were eight NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards from multiple hardware generations while using the very latest open-source Nouveau driver code.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18203
    Wow - looks like 9800GTX is the way to go right now. I know what's on my wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
      Wow - looks like 9800GTX is the way to go right now. I know what's on my wish list.
      Yeah, I find it almost tragic how 9800GTX/nouveau wipes the floor with the HD4870/r600 (warsow benchmark 100 vs 50 fps). The nouveau guys must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
        Or a 2xx card with a descent bios.
        My card (a 3dClub 285GTX) is set in bios to boot at top speed, probably hoping that the driver will take over and clock it down later. It pulls loads of power (even when idle), but at least I got a pretty good speed out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post
          Or a 2xx card with a descent bios.
          My card (a 3dClub 285GTX) is set in bios to boot at top speed, probably hoping that the driver will take over and clock it down later. It pulls loads of power (even when idle), but at least I got a pretty good speed out of it.
          Woudn't that be a crappy bios...

Comment

I think he means one that is *not* like his.

Comment

Michael do you have a GTX 580 to benchmark? I'm having no luck with it on Fedora 18 beta. Hangs at GDM. Wondering if kernel + nouveau from git is any better...

Comment

I'm having no luck with it on Fedora 18 beta.

Comment

That, really makes me happy
                  There wasn't a single test, where the nouveau driver on NVIDIA hardware would outperform the radeon driver on AMD hardware...

(I know, they reverse engineer with no support from the manufaturer etc. it just means to me, if you want the latest xorg-server and all features with an open driver use AMD hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    Yeah, I find it almost tragic how 9800GTX/nouveau wipes the floor with the HD4870/r600 (warsow benchmark 100 vs 50 fps). The nouveau guys must be doing something right.
                    1. it seems the test didn't run on most of the nvidia hardware at all
                    2. where do people get such old hardware like 9800GTX any more? That card was released more than 4 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X