Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau DRM Commits Supporting Z Compression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nouveau DRM Commits Supporting Z Compression

    Phoronix: Nouveau DRM Commits Supporting Z Compression

    Ben Skeggs of Red Hat pushed a number of new DRM commits into the Nouveau driver development repository today, including new support for Z compression...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxMDE

  • #2
    Originally posted by asdx
    Impressive. Thanks for your hard work, Ben Skeggs.
    YES!...

    But still waiting for the anti-open-source jerks coming to do vandalism in this thread ?

    Whatís wrong with these nvidia-paid idiots ?

    These people really act like marionette puppets.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
      YES!...

      But still waiting for the anti-open-source jerks coming to do vandalism in this thread ?

      Whatís wrong with these nvidia-paid idiots ?

      These people really act like marionette puppets.
      More like... Disgruntled customers who expected their open source drivers to work on their hardware years ago. Without nVidia's help, there just really isn't enough manpower to do it so these linux users aren't happy. It's not nouveau's fault.

      Honestly, I'm giving the Nouveau team the benefit of the doubt and I'll bet their Z compression is a lot faster and is a lot more stable than AMD's Hyper-Z which is still a "work in progress" for hardware going all the way back to the r300g.

      I'm running HyperZ (I think? There doesn't seem a way to verify it's enabled), and haven't had any problems with it on r300g, but I've heard of some corner cases where it's unstable so it's not actually "completed" yet and it doesn't look like AMD cares.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        More like... Disgruntled customers who expected their open source drivers to work on their hardware years ago. Without nVidia's help, there just really isn't enough manpower to do it so these linux users aren't happy.
        really? they get what they paid for!

        In my point of view the linux people should stop playing nicely thex should switch to a AGPLv3+ license to fight back these enemyís of the freedom.

        "It's not nouveau's fault."

        Sure but they blame them anyway.

        Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
        Honestly, I'm giving the Nouveau team the benefit of the doubt and I'll bet their Z compression is a lot faster and is a lot more stable than AMD's Hyper-Z which is still a "work in progress" for hardware going all the way back to the r300g.
        I'm running HyperZ (I think? There doesn't seem a way to verify it's enabled), and haven't had any problems with it on r300g, but I've heard of some corner cases where it's unstable so it's not actually "completed" yet and it doesn't look like AMD cares.
        true but hyperZ is not so important right now i use a hd3850 with the radeon driver and the shader compiler is the biggest problem in my point of view.

        but sure a GTX8800 nvidia can outperform my card with the nouveau driver.

        thats because the shader compiler is much simpler for nvidia cards.

        Comment

        Working...
        X