Bickering Continues About NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    If NVIDIA turns their back on Linux kernel, then it is game over for desktop Linux. GAME. OVER. That's why shutting up zealots like Cox or Torvalds is a priority.

I think someone like WINE team will find a solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
      I think someone like WINE team will find a solution.
      Nevertheless driving NVIDIA away will be equal to shooting yourself in the foot.

Comment

• Well maybe a new petition is needed

Comment

Nevertheless driving NVIDIA away will be equal to shooting yourself in the foot.
          Not everyone has the same priorities.
          Some users/developers see functionality as a priority.
          Some users/developers see freedom of code as a priority(wouldn't go as far as to say choice, cause I find it false to assume you gain much from the situation as things stand now).

So for the latter it's a matter of "cleansing Linux of closed code". Doesn't matter what happens, as long as we have open code .. To be fair though violating the license is wrong.

Neither approach is ideal, both should be taken into account. And sometimes compromises must be made, to preserve either of these. Hopefully, we can have Optimus working and kernel license not violated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
            Not everyone has the same priorities.
            Some users/developers see functionality as a priority.
            Practical users, yep.
            Some users/developers see freedom of code as a priority(wouldn't go as far as to say choice, cause I find it false to assume you gain much from the situation as things stand now).
            Religious fanatics and zealots that take some things too seriously and are doing it wrong.

So for the latter it's a matter of "cleansing Linux of closed code". Doesn't matter what happens, as long as we have open code ..
            Zealots may fap on it but the world at large will use Windows and OS X.

To be fair though violating the license is wrong.
            If the license gets in the way of actual development why not throw it out?

Neither approach is ideal, both should be taken into account. And sometimes compromises must be made, to preserve either of these. Hopefully, we can have Optimus working and kernel license not violated.
            Features/performance > "freedom". I know such stance isn't too popular here but hey, not that many here are NOT basement dwellers, huh?

Comment

Practical users, yep.

Religious fanatics and zealots that take some things too seriously and are doing it wrong.

Zealots may fap on it but the world at large will use Windows and OS X.

Features/performance > "freedom". I know such stance isn't too popular here but hey, not that many here are NOT basement dwellers, huh?
              Don't tell me ..
              But don't forget the original motivation of some important developers.
              On the other hand, I recall some stats saying ~70% of contribution to Linux are from companies. Who tend to care about performance/functionality. Stuff to think about for some people ..
              With the right choice, I trust we can have both in "good levels" though. Just need not see things black and white.

Comment

• NVIDIA initially didn't care much for desktop Linux anyway, that was stated in Phoronix previously. Their interest was the commercial market, they provided the drivers for their business customers.

I think it warmed up a bit to Valve (see - optimization done) and trying to improve in general (see - trying to do something about Optimus).

Comment

I'm one of practical users, but I'll chime in here: you can't easily change the license. Linux is screwed in that regard as changing its license would involve contacting thousands of people and/or their legal heirs about their permission and anyone can block the change. We can try to work around certain limitations, though.

It's probably easier to switch to FreeBSD (for which, BTW, NVidia supplies drivers - almost on par with Windows ones! - as well). However, I have had some experience with FreeBSD and it actually has worse *proprietary* software support (e.g. no Flash, no Skype - except through Linux emulation layer), not to mention much less manpower...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                    Don't tell me ..
                    But don't forget the original motivation of some important developers.
                    Originally Unix-based systems failed to gain desktop (i.e. mainstream) acceptance miserably. Despite having a huge headstart.
                    On the other hand, I recall some stats saying ~70% of contribution to Linux are from companies. Who tend to care about performance/functionality. Stuff to think about for some people ..
                    Exactly my point. Linux is used at servers because it works. Not because it is free, open source and so morally awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                      NVIDIA initially didn't care much for desktop Linux anyway, that was stated in Phoronix previously. Their interest was the commercial market, they provided the drivers for their business customers.

I think it warmed up a bit to Valve (see - optimization done) and trying to improve in general (see - trying to do something about Optimus).
                      But still, desktop Linux as we know it depends on NVIDIA.

Comment

Working...
                      X