Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bickering Continues About NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    I'm running the r600g on its default settings in Fedora 17. Care to share some of the configurations you make for smooth video playback?

    Note: 720p playback on Youtube is even choppier.

    do you have the correct firmware loaded for your gpu? which version of mesa are you using?

    i dont use fedora - just gentoo and debian from time to time

    EDIT: I could post my use flags but that wont help you much unless you want to recompile a lot of packages..

    Comment


    • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      is this with the S3TC helper library enabled? also i do remember something about ubuntu ... yeh its broken :P

      EDIT: I never said that it has superior performance to fglrx but it does follow opengl specs more closely and its infinitely more stable
      Shouldn't be. As said earlier, this is the driver in Fedora 17 at its default settings. And considering how Fedora has a very strict stance against proprietary / patent-encumbered stuff, i'd wager that S3TC is not enabled by default.

      EDIT: I never said that it had performance-parity either. And I did acknowledge earlier that it was inifinitely more stable.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
        do you have the correct firmware loaded for your gpu? which version of mesa are you using?

        i dont use fedora - just gentoo and debian from time to time

        EDIT: I could post my use flags but that wont help you much unless you want to recompile a lot of packages..
        The correct firmware is definitely loaded: i would not have been able to boot into Gnome Shell if it wasn't.

        And according to rpm -qa | grep mesa:

        mesa-libGLU-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libgbm-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libGL-devel-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libglapi-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-dri-drivers-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libGLES-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libxatracker-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libGL-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-dri-filesystem-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libEGL-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
        mesa-libGLU-devel-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64

        I have no intention to compile a new version of Mesa; graphics drivers are one of the few things which I will probably never ever dare to do so.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          The correct firmware is definitely loaded: i would not have been able to boot into Gnome Shell if it wasn't.

          And according to rpm -qa | grep mesa:

          mesa-libGLU-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libgbm-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libGL-devel-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libglapi-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-dri-drivers-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libGLES-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libxatracker-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libGL-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-dri-filesystem-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libEGL-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64
          mesa-libGLU-devel-8.0.2-8.fc17.x86_64

          I have no intention to compile a new version of Mesa; graphics drivers are one of the few things which I will probably never ever dare to do so.
          ahh i have mesa 9 on my system, it should be pretty straight forward to compile mesa... was for me at least

          also gnome-shell does not help performance in any way - ditch it in favour of something that doesn't use the gpu

          EDIT: software patents are bullshit so i'll just ignore them

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            ahh i have mesa 9 on my system, it should be pretty straight forward to compile mesa... was for me at least
            Still don't dare...messed up graphics drivers are a passport for an OS reinstall. Even in Windows, where uninstalling drivers are as simple as just hitting the 'uninstall' button in Control Panel, i still prefer to format the entire OS instead of just uninstalling the drivers so that I ALWAYS start fresh from a clean slate.

            The only drivers I dare to compile in Linux are WiFi drivers, and those are for very exceptional cases only.

            It is for this reason i favor AMD's and Nvidia's blobs: superior performance and easy to install; all I have to do is to make sure kernel-source and kernel-headers are installed and the blob installation always passes.

            Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            also gnome-shell does not help performance in any way - ditch it in favour of something that doesn't use the gpu
            I switch between Gnome shell and KDe4. Heavyweight DEs but still my preferred ones for their functionality and features.

            Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            EDIT: software patents are bullshit so i'll just ignore them
            I got nothing to say to that.

            Comment


            • Btw, if my information is correct, Gnome Shell should have small impact on performance of games, since it does undirect fullscreen windows by default.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Still don't dare...messed up graphics drivers are a passport for an OS reinstall. Even in Windows, where uninstalling drivers are as simple as just hitting the 'uninstall' button in Control Panel, i still prefer to format the entire OS instead of just uninstalling the drivers so that I ALWAYS start fresh from a clean slate.

                The only drivers I dare to compile in Linux are WiFi drivers, and those are for very exceptional cases only.

                It is for this reason i favor AMD's and Nvidia's blobs: superior performance and easy to install; all I have to do is to make sure kernel-source and kernel-headers are installed and the blob installation always passes.



                I switch between Gnome shell and KDe4. Heavyweight DEs but still my preferred ones for their functionality and features.



                I got nothing to say to that.
                huh? just install checkinstall or something similar and make rpms - if you mess up just go back to the stock versions - its easier than windows...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                  Btw, if my information is correct, Gnome Shell should have small impact on performance of games, since it does undirect fullscreen windows by default.
                  I never really messed with gnome-shell, i tried it and hated it so i use mate on my laptops and xbmc on my htpc, when i did try it foobillard and wz2100 failed to start so i've never really bothered with it since

                  I think the keyword here is 'should' - to me its an awful mess that brings the name of GNU into disrepute and i was a gnome 'fanboy' back in the gnome 2.x days ...

                  Comment


                  • I cant even keep up with the trolling here, its not one troll that trolls about a topic its several trolls trolling about several topics.

                    To the windows point, yes in windows its true minor problem reboot, major problem reinstall. But we are talking about linux, so here its, all works perfekt if not upgrade to a newer version. if it works not than, you have to start hating the guilty one, in most cases nvidia or maybe amd. you can change to a distro that have newer version yes, or use ppas but even that can be problematic for 0day-mesa-shots or something like that. if you have time enough and nothing else to do you can compile manually most or the hole xorg stack + kernel but again if you dont have so much time what I said before stays true.

                    To the "here on radeon driver the 720p stream does not work or the 1080p does work perfektly" thats not a question about your gpu its a question about your cpu. At least I found no hints that x264 or webm is supported by some vapi stuff so 99% of the work make your cpu if you have a bad one 720p will not work fluent, if you have a good one 1080p works fluent and all between that. <- I am talking about the radeon opensource driver here

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      I cant even keep up with the trolling here, its not one troll that trolls about a topic its several trolls trolling about several topics.

                      To the windows point, yes in windows its true minor problem reboot, major problem reinstall. But we are talking about linux, so here its, all works perfekt if not upgrade to a newer version. if it works not than, you have to start hating the guilty one, in most cases nvidia or maybe amd. you can change to a distro that have newer version yes, or use ppas but even that can be problematic for 0day-mesa-shots or something like that. if you have time enough and nothing else to do you can compile manually most or the hole xorg stack + kernel but again if you dont have so much time what I said before stays true.

                      To the "here on radeon driver the 720p stream does not work or the 1080p does work perfektly" thats not a question about your gpu its a question about your cpu. At least I found no hints that x264 or webm is supported by some vapi stuff so 99% of the work make your cpu if you have a bad one 720p will not work fluent, if you have a good one 1080p works fluent and all between that. <- I am talking about the radeon opensource driver here
                      you could just let portage compile your entire system whilst you do something else - that way you've got all your own packages built to your needs

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X