Linux Developers Still Reject NVIDIA Using DMA-BUF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
    Well .. The thing is NVIDIA(and AMD) literally CAN'T opensource their driver, even if they wanted too .. Or at least much of it.
    As paradigms change, it might slowly become possible though.
    If I am not mistaken, even Intel has to reverse engineer their own product .. :|

Why? Because not everything in their hardware/software(drivers) is completely theirs for example, so there are licensing issues with 3rd parties and such from what I perceive. Among other things.

They can use the entire MESA, Intel's work and LLVM with a proper and full back-end, and create very easy, an Open Driver with 70-90% the performance of the Closed one. Then they can use the latest OGL4 work as a Closed Extension Driver for the Open one. When we say Extension Driver we mean only Shader Compilers, FX and Programs for the Rasterizer(synthesizer), not any Driver Functionality like memory management, that should be Open.

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
      They can use the entire MESA, Intel's work and LLVM with a proper and full back-end, and create very easy, an Open Driver with 70-90% the performance of the Closed one. Then they can use the latest OGL4 work as a Closed Extension Driver for the Open one. When we say Extension Driver we mean only Shader Compilers, FX and Programs for the Rasterizer(synthesizer), not any Driver Functionality like memory management, that should be Open.
      When making business decisions, one also has to consider costs vs. benefits.

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
        If it truly is possible to do so, I wish they would do so and everyone would be satisfied. Still the "DIE NVIDIA" style won't help much, so I hope people don't keep acting like that.
        I believe, may be wrong, but I do, that using DMA-BUF is a step towards the direction you say. I hope things play out well for Optimus users in whatever way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
          If it truly is possible to do so, I wish they would do so and everyone would be satisfied. Still the "DIE NVIDIA" style won't help much, so I hope people don't keep acting like that.
          I believe, may be wrong, but I do, that using DMA-BUF is a step towards the direction you say. I hope things play out well for Optimus users in whatever way.

Nvidia wants to explore the entire GPL for their next Fusion product "Denver", they even have their own Distribution inside their labs. They must not get anything without give something back. To respect every one else its the first step towards. You can't just take right or good from wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X