No announcement yet.

X.Org To Pay For Better Nouveau GPU Reclocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Gusar → ignore RussianNeuromancer, he's just a blatant troll that will deny everything that you put in front of him, be it ignoring parts of your message, doing straw man arguments and such ... Just sit, relax and enjoy the show. things like the dma-buf being nvidia's fault, but not amd are just a fine piece of trolling art :3

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
      And again someone that doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between his personal views and what's good for the larger community.

How about, in a few years, Open Source friendly companies having kick-ass drivers and hostile companies having bad/mediocare drivers.
      How's that for an example?

What message are we now sending to our friends? 'We love you, but the money goes to our/your foes?'

Seriously.
      you're right, i've always really wished that i could say to people, 'haha, joke's on you, you bought the wrong hardware but if you just bought a piece of shit longsoon laptop instead then everything would work perfectly'.

either that or linux works flawlessly out of the box, competitive with other operating systems, on hardware actual people really buy.

*shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post
        Just sit, relax and enjoy the show
        "Show" is right word for what nVidia do - ignore most requested feature, when AMD implement this feature at the same time. By the way you still doesn't show where Robert Morell talk about Optimus, but you still believe he talk about it. To be more clear: desktop-kind of Optimus "nVidia Maximus" is already supported in nVidia driver, and works. But this doesn't help to nVidia Optimus users at all. So if he doesn't talk exactly about Optimus, chances of official support are slim.
        Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 05-27-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MPF View Post
          Right but remember that nouveau is only effective/useful on "old" cards. So, Nouveau is more about providing open source support for unsupported/poorly-supported cards.
          Seeing things this way, we prevent people from trashing fairly good hardware just because it doesn't work anymore with the proprietary driver.
          FYI, we still support tnt2 cards!

As for AMD and Intel hardware, open source support is already way better when it comes to power management than Nouveau. So, it is just a matter of providing at least a minimal service.
          FYI GeForceMX card OpenGL support is completely broken - bad textures everywhere. Also, no one on IRC wanted these cards for free.

As of TNT, I have one, works in UMS as VGA. The card itself has virtually no advantages vs S3 PCI, due to OpenGL being almost completely accelerated in software.
          For example, supertux2 is extremely slow.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
            you're right, i've always really wished that i could say to people, 'haha, joke's on you, you bought the wrong hardware but if you just bought a piece of shit longsoon laptop instead then everything would work perfectly'.

either that or linux works flawlessly out of the box, competitive with other operating systems, on hardware actual people really buy.

*shrug*
            I know you were responding to a troll, but i want to point out that not all the people who question this "pay for nouveau support" idea are.

I want to support all hardware on linux, I just feel like the community as a whole would be in a lot better position if everyone focused on bringing up certain hardware first. Then once it's in a good position, the community could move on to other hardware.

At that point, you could at least point people to certain hardware that was supported well, and tell people who didn't have it that the support would be coming but just isn't ready yet.

Instead, we currently have *bad* support for everything, and no one is happy.

Given the fact that docs are available for radeon hardware, I absolutely think it makes sense to polish off a driver there first - maybe focusing on r700 or evergreen hardware. Once that was in a good spot, people could switch over to an nvidia generation.

With r700 support good, the AMD devs and random OSS contributors could probably copy that code into supporting other generations on their own, while organizations like X.Org could move their attention to nvidia.

I know this will never actually happen, because everyone wants their own hardware to be supported now, and no one is willing to sacrifice the good of their own projects for the long-term benefits of the entire community.

I just wish it could happen.

Comment

Working...
            X