Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Linux Steam Client, Source Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Well, that's enough confirmation I need. Not that I'm claiming they will necessarily be a success....

    Comment


    • Originally posted by johnc View Post
      So is Steam out yet?

      I just checked the Ubuntu Software Center and it's not there.
      Maybe you should check again in the next few months. Or years.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        Maybe you should check again in the next few months. Or years.
        Or even more than that. It took Valve from 1998 to late 2007 to release TF2. Even if Valve truly intends to come to Linux, that company does not do anything fast... and I'm assuming that their intentions to come to Linux are a recent-ish thing, because that executive for Valve last year said they have "no plans" to bring Steam or Source to Linux.

        I'm thinking the 2018 - 2024 timeframe is realistic. Of course, they may change their minds and decide not to come to Linux after all by then; a lot can change in the market in 6 to 12 years. And they'll probably have a completely new, redesigned engine by then, one that was yet again designed specifically for Windows, and they'll have to start over porting it from scratch. I'm not making this shit up; this company is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. We're talking, like, Duke: Nuclear Bomb Them Forever slow.
        Last edited by allquixotic; 05-08-2012, 07:38 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          Or even more than that. It took Valve from 1998 to late 2007 to release TF2. Even if Valve truly intends to come to Linux, that company does not do anything fast... and I'm assuming that their intentions to come to Linux are a recent-ish thing, because that executive for Valve last year said they have "no plans" to bring Steam or Source to Linux.
          What the Valve executive (Doug Lombardi) said was this: "There's no Linux version that we're working on right now." (Emphasis mine.) What you attributed to Mr. Lombardi was NOT what he said. What he said would've been the same sort of non-commital answer I would've gave had I been in his position (And I have...just not in the game industry...).

          Keep reminding yourselves this... :-D

          Comment


          • Nice to see you posting Svartalf, what have you been up to?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Nice to see you posting Svartalf, what have you been up to?
              Heh... Mostly decidely un-fun things. Trying to put the wraps on what ended up being a nasty divorce that lasted over a year in length- the silence was mostly on lawyer's orders. :-D

              Comment


              • Originally posted by asdx
                No Steam for Linux yet.

                Fuck off Michael!
                What? You think they're just going to roll this out on YOUR say-so? I've known for a a bit now that there was a behind-the-scenes effort there at Valve. Was it ready or were they ready to make the plunge? No. Are they ready now? Possibly- but it'll be on THEIR timetable, not ours.

                Remind yourself of that.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Heh... Mostly decidely un-fun things. Trying to put the wraps on what ended up being a nasty divorce that lasted over a year in length- the silence was mostly on lawyer's orders. :-D
                  ouch, sorry to hear that!

                  Any ideas about your future projects?

                  @asdx: your comment is totally useless and meaningless (most of your post are like that one, why bother posting?). you could stick to commenting on the EA announcement instead of Valve...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X