Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 "Kepler" On Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Michael

Was there any logic behind testing Heaven with a DX10 card? Did you run Heaven without tesselation or did only the 9800GTX run without? I know that you just run your whole suite on every card but maybe mention that something is special about that test.

Comment

Good article. Nvidia still wears the crown on Linux. However, helping the nouveau guys a little hand would be top-notch indeed.

About the OC-ing: I have always preferred to flash the card's BIOS with higher clock speeds than doing it with software. I know about the risks, but it makes everything so much easier... This is still an option for Linux users who really want to use higher clocks. Cards like the custom GTX 560 with better coolers and the like really can handle some extra load, you easily get 15% - 20% more out of it without too much effort.

Comment

Multi Screen

I didn't notice any mention of this, but can all four displays be used at the same time? I'd love to ditch my multi card hack that I am running at the moment. Even better is if it works with nouveau with all screens.

Comment

surprise surprise the little cheap hd7950 beat the gtx680.

right now in germany the BIG hd7970 is cheaper than a gtx680

the GCN (risc+simd) architecture will also fix some shared compiler stuff in the open source drivers.

i hope for a 6gb vram version of the "cheap" hd7950 and then i buy one for the opensource driver.

and no i don't care about notebook features like video acceleration on a Desktop/workstation system!

Comment

Can you run the vdpau testing tool in your test?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133465

Comment

Can you try the vdpau testing tool on the gtx680?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133465

Comment

Originally posted by arbition View Post
                I didn't notice any mention of this, but can all four displays be used at the same time? I'd love to ditch my multi card hack that I am running at the moment. Even better is if it works with nouveau with all screens.
                Yep, that's the point of having four CRTCs. You should be able to drive 4 screens with one card, if you find one with suitable connectors.

I don't think anyone tested 4 screens with nouveau yet, but it may even work as the preparations for this are in the kernel for some time. But please don't pin me on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by DiaperJe|\|i3 View Post
                  So the 7970 is probably faster than the GTX 680 with this driver set. Interesting!
                  It largely depends on the workload. In some benchmarks from this article, the 680 is the winner, in others the 7970 end up first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
                    Yep, that's the point of having four CRTCs. You should be able to drive 4 screens with one card, if you find one with suitable connectors.

I don't think anyone tested 4 screens with nouveau yet, but it may even work as the preparations for this are in the kernel for some time. But please don't pin me on this one.
                    The patch for 4 screen support came pre-release, well disguised: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/...8501e2dbe00a3d
                    It's probably not yet tested much but IIRC (also don't pin me on this one) the devs thought it works.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                      It largely depends on the workload. In some benchmarks from this article, the 680 is the winner, in others the 7970 end up first.
                      The article did not compare with HD7970, but rather with HD7950.

Comment

You're right. But keep in mind that this 7950 is OC'd. The results without OC are also shown however as "800-1250". It's possible that the driver still has to be optimized for the 680.

Comment

Originally posted by d.a.a. View Post
                          What kind of problem? JuliaGPU and SmallPt run without problems on my HD7970/HD6970 GPUs (I'm running Debian GNU/Linux, fglrx 12-3).

Also, I would like to see some OpenCL double-precision float point benchmarks, as this type of workload is very important for scientific computation.
                          Yeah, what kind of problem? None of the other magazine's benchmarking (anandtech, toms hardware, etc) had any problem with opencl apart from on the 680. And when it did run it was generally quite abysmal. e.g. where's the ray tracer test?

NVIDIA, on the other hand, usually always has great OpenCL/CUDA SDK support in place for Linux.
                          That comment alone is totally suss because nvidia's opencl support on consumer hardware is terrible on any platform.

Comment

Why would you use a GTX 680 on a Linux OS? Surely its a waste since only Windows could really benefit from its full performance. Talking about gaming and general 3D acceleration. No Linux software could possibly make use of a GTX 680 unless its running wine and brute forcing past the slow performance.

Comment

That's correct, basically you don't need so much speed for native linux games. If you want much more performance for boinc and similar tools this can be different. Nobody has got something against a dual/multiboot system to play some games on another window os dx performance is not optimal when you use wine. opengl however is very fast using wine but there are not many games which use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                                That's correct, basically you don't need so much speed for native linux games. If you want much more performance for boinc and similar tools this can be different. Nobody has got something against a dual/multiboot system to play some games on another window os dx performance is not optimal when you use wine. opengl however is very fast using wine but there are not many games which use it.
                                there are nativ linux games with unlimited need of speed but these games are not in the phoronix test-

TA-Spring for example you can burn every hardware with that game!

Comment

Working...
                                X