Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Is Joining The Linux Foundation

Phoronix: NVIDIA Is Joining The Linux Foundation

NVIDIA will be joining the Linux Foundation, per an announcement coming out in the morning. But for open-source Linux fans, will this be a reason to rejoice about NVIDIA potentially moving forward with open-source drivers? Don't break out the champagne quite yet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any devs want to chime in for a more realistic analysis?

Comment

My first reaction seeing the title in my RSS reader was; This is it, hell has frozen over. Reading the rest of the article though only re-confirmed what I've been remembering for years.

nVidia doesn't care for linux. Their CEO once made a statement regarding linux back in the riva128 days about they would never support opensource etc etc.

I think them joining the foundation is just a way to sell more tegra chips for use in android tablets, with their binary blob for video. Good for the foundation to have some extra cash, but don't expect any nVidia opensource miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
        My first reaction seeing the title in my RSS reader was; This is it, hell has frozen over. Reading the rest of the article though only re-confirmed what I've been remembering for years.

nVidia doesn't care for linux. Their CEO once made a statement regarding linux back in the riva128 days about they would never support opensource etc etc.

I think them joining the foundation is just a way to sell more tegra chips for use in android tablets, with their binary blob for video. Good for the foundation to have some extra cash, but don't expect any nVidia opensource miracles.
        Previous generations of Android devices have used Tegra, but currently the reference platform is OMAP4.

"Ice Cream Sandwich runs better on TI OMAP" Here is some nose rubbing that comes from the usually quite passive Texas Instruments PR team. They were not too happy that Nvidia was the platform of choice for Honeycomb Android 3.x, but they sure are proud to confirm the fact that MAP 4460 is th...

OMAP5 is shaping up as the future:

Chipmaker Texas Instruments placed its OMAP 4 application processors in many smartphone, tablet and e-reader devices last year, but the company debuted the...

IMO Nvidia need desperately to do something positive re Linux or Tegra won't be used any longer for Android. This is a big market to miss out on.

Comment

Only sad thing about the omap's is, they use our big bad friend, PowerVR.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
            Only sad thing about the omap's is, they use our big bad friend, PowerVR.
            and i don't even know who's worse...
            personally, i hope for Samsung and ARM to kick some ass with Exynos, Mali and Tizen.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
              and i don't even know who's worse...
              personally, i hope for Samsung and ARM to kick some ass with Exynos, Mali and Tizen.
              Well ARM Mali 400 will have open-source graphics thanks to the Lima Project, not because ARM is awesome or anything; their driver is closed as well.

Regarding NVIDIA, I hope the does mean they're going to start playing nice with Linux. The proprietary graphics drivers on my desktop are rubbish; my mobile Sandy Bridge graphics animate GNOME3 transitions orders of magnitude smoother than this damn Quadro FX 1800 (768 megs of freakin' RAM).
              Last edited by aorth; 07 March 2012, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aorth View Post
                Regarding NVIDIA, I hope the does mean they're going to start playing nice with Linux. The proprietary graphics drivers on my desktop are rubbish; my mobile Sandy Bridge graphics animate GNOME3 transitions orders of magnitude smoother than this damn Quadro FX 1800 (768 megs of freakin' RAM).
                <joking>OMG, such trolling is not accepted on the Phoronix forums, only complaining about Catalyst, the nVidia blob is to be considered perfect</joking>

Now on a serious note, except for FSF all so called Linux or "Open Source" organizations are not really against binary blobs, so until you see the nVidia logo on http://www.fsf.org/patrons there's nothing to worry about .

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                  <joking>OMG, such trolling is not accepted on the Phoronix forums, only complaining about Catalyst, the nVidia blob is to be considered perfect</joking>

Now on a serious note, except for FSF all so called Linux or "Open Source" organizations are not really against binary blobs, so until you see the nVidia logo on http://www.fsf.org/patrons there's nothing to worry about .
                  Yeah, actually my post was missing the point. NVIDIA's Linux drivers suck; the fact that they're proprietary is irrelevant.

Comment

Open source

An aside: I tend to buy NV over ATI because NV usually is quicker with Linux driver support I am not dragging out the "ATI makes crappy drivers" argument here: ATI makes fine drivers for Linux, but not always in a timely manner.

My comment: NV can't open source it's drivers for the simple reason that doing so would give away many trade secrets about the structure of it's silicon. Same is true for AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X