A 14-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA vs. Nouveau Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    The difference between 8800GT and 9800GT GPUs is striking because it's basically the same GPU.

Michael, I smell something very fishy with your results, e.g. on this page the fps difference is fourfold which is kinda wrong.
    I for one find some of these "findings" a little odd also. Not just because some of the comparisons between cards show major differences where there really should be none/minimal. But, the general lack of stability is surprising to me. I'd have expected to see a similar trend upstream and in Fedora, however, it does not seem to be the case...

Comment

Very nice article I have GeForce 6600GT on my machine and works very good. On the other is GeForce 9600GT. In plans I want buy GTS 520 ;]
      One question, how do you merge all these cards in one chart? I have tried merge two tests with Radeons cards, which one has AA x4 default and app do it on alone charts

Comment

The first results are from the Unigine Heaven benchmark, which does not work with Mesa/Gallium3D, so it is limited to just using the binary Linux driver. It is technically possible to get it running if enabling S3TC support, floating-point textures, and the patented support, but even then, it is at a snail's pace
        That's maybe true for nouveau, but you said "Mesa/Gallium3D" generally.

HD 6550 mobile, mesa git:

Yes, that's an awfully small window and 8-12 fps are not much either but you can see it getting there.

Comment

"The 8400GS is passively cooled ..."

So how does it get 30C hotter using nouveau on idle while using less power? Something's a bit wierd there.

Comment

Originally posted by darktama View Post
            But, the general lack of stability is surprising to me. I'd have expected to see a similar trend upstream and in Fedora, however, it does not seem to be the case...
            Exactly! Nouveau on my 6600 GT AGP is rock solid with the kernel module from a recent Git and the X driver from Git of 2 months ago. But Michael has lots of problems with its PCIe version. Nouveau seems not to like Michael and/or Phoronix...

Comment

GT240

I`m kind of relieved because on my GT240 there`s the same problem with the Nouveau driver... at first I thought it was a problem on my hardware, but disabling the Nouveau (nouveau.modeset=0) and booting with basics driver and then installing the proprietary driver solved my problem, I realized it was not a problem with the hardware alone.
              Any ideas why that happens?

Great review! I was looking forward to it.

Comment

I wonder how much the change of test platforms affected the results? The AMD comparison was on Intel kit; this on AMD. I wouldn't imagine it was substantial, but I've been surprised before...

Comment

Working...
                X