Northern Islands & Fermi Busted On Open-Source

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    For those that don't know, these types of articles do usually promote change in some manner... Whether it be a company acknowledging they need to get with the initial support better for the next-generation of hardware or marketing representatives that are clueless about Linux learning something new. Etc.
    That could backfire and result in companies (and people in general) clamming up and not giving out any details until they're fully good & ready with everything. Just saying, keep an eye on what exact change is being promoted, and make sure it's the one you're after.

Comment

For those that don't know, these types of articles do usually promote change in some manner... Whether it be a company acknowledging they need to get with the initial support better for the next-generation of hardware or marketing representatives that are clueless about Linux learning something new. Etc.
      Michael, you are missing the point. This article is not promoting change, especially on the Nouveau Fermi side. Ben already acknowledged in his commit message that the initial support probably has some bugs. He even posted in this thread; here it is if you didn't notice:

Originally posted by darktama View Post
      Here's a thought. How about doing something useful about it and filing a bug report[1]? There are other boards with the same chipset as the one you tested (one of which I own), that actually work quite fine. We'd probably learn something useful about fermi in the process of fixing it, that'd actually benefit everyone..
      When the main developer of a software project, in this case the Nouveau kernel driver, says you are not being useful, then you are not promoting change.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
        Michael, you are missing the point. This article is not promoting change, especially on the Nouveau Fermi side. Ben already acknowledged in his commit message that the initial support probably has some bugs. He even posted in this thread; here it is if you didn't notice:

When the main developer of a software project, in this case the Nouveau kernel driver, says you are not being useful, then you are not promoting change.
        On NVIDIA side, perhaps not too much in this case. As far as bug reporting, I've stated my stance on that in other threads.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

As far as bug reporting, I've stated my stance on that in other threads.
          Yeah, takes time and generates no income. So why bother doing something useful if you can just bitch around a bit and earn some money from this?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
            Yeah, takes time and generates no income. So why bother doing something useful if you can just bitch around a bit and earn some money from this?
            And the fact that my test systems are *constantly* changing. Even for these tests from yesterday, that system already has been reconfigured with different software and hardware changes, etc, which would mean there's a big burden on my part to then reconfigure the system to a past state just to work on some bug report testing without any substantive ROI on my end.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

And the fact that my test systems are *constantly* changing. Even for these tests from yesterday, that system already has been reconfigured with different software and hardware changes, etc, which would mean there's a big burden on my part to then reconfigure the system to a past state just to work on some bug report testing without any substantive ROI on my end.
              hey michael some people honor your work... i always sneak around your website and i read a lot of stuff ;-)

i do not use adblock and i also click on some web ads and in the past i send you money via paypal ;-)

so do whatever you think is useful whatever you do its great and you will get support for your work.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                i do not use adblock and i also click on some web ads and in the past i send you money via paypal ;-)
                Qaridarium, you should use adblock as much as you can, if you open several tabs in browser. The amount of reactivity is HUGE, it saves a LOT of resources and electricity. In my test 200 tab firefox has launched in 30 seconds on my machine, with adblock disabled, it HANG for over 3 minutes. Adblock allows very easy to add exception and disabling on the sites you want, just one click on the button.

So there is not barrier for phoronix users to disable it or click on banners from time to time, Michael should just mention it for those, who have it enabled. Ideally he should put background behind Ads, with message to enable cause site is ad-supported. People that care understand it and will do it.

Comment

At least there is the AMD Catalyst proprietary driver support and it's in good shape.
                  Have you tried Gnome 3 with a Mobility Radeon HD 4xxx card? The drivers may be in decent shape for games, but for compositing even the proprietary drivers are fairly broken, or at least they have enough bugs that were annoyances in Gnome 2 but game breakers in Gnome 3.

Comment

Working...
                  X