Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free NVIDIA Fermi Cards To Open-Source Developers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Free NVIDIA Fermi Cards To Open-Source Developers

    Phoronix: Free NVIDIA Fermi Cards To Open-Source Developers

    Prior to launching their next-generation graphics processors, NVIDIA dropped their obfuscated open-source driver and have said they will not provide any open-source support at all for their GeForce GTX 400 "Fermi" series as they just recommended their customers use the X.Org VESA driver until they can install the official binary Linux driver. However, the community developers working on the Nouveau driver project still plan to support the GeForce GTX 470/480 graphics cards via clean-room reverse engineering. Today their efforts might be helped thanks to a hardware sponsorship...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODE4Mg

  • #2
    ...as the Mesa/Gallium3D stack is still trying to catch-up to the OpenGL 3.0/3.1/3.2 specifications.
    And I hope OpenGL 3.3 too.
    Also, I hope PathScale won't be handing out free video-cards to anyone who claims he's a open-source (GPU) developer without checking that info first as otherwise the freeloaders would be the first to benefit.

    Comment


    • #3
      The offer clearly states:

      If you're interested please contact me offlist with a brief description
      of your background, the contributions you made to open source and what
      you'd intend to do with the card.
      so I doubt there's any risk of freeloaders.

      Comment


      • #4
        Given the power consumption of those horrid monsters, you can NOT call this "free". Those beasts will run you broke just in electricity costs!

        Comment


        • #5
          This is quite a shame for NVIDIA. They don't want to deliver open source drivers? Ok..... but they sure can send free cards to the nouveau developers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            This is quite a shame for NVIDIA. They don't want to deliver open source drivers? Ok..... but they sure can send free cards to the nouveau developers.
            And along with the hands off approach including not providing any assistance nor hindering the project nVidia is going to be on the short end of the stick.

            At least PathScale is doing a service helping out the nouveau developers with this project

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              And along with the hands off approach including not providing any assistance nor hindering the project nVidia is going to be on the short end of the stick.

              At least PathScale is doing a service helping out the nouveau developers with this project
              Must be PathScale sees open Linux drivers as beneficial to them even though nVidia themselves do not. Companies rarely do charity.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Must be PathScale sees open Linux drivers as beneficial to them even though nVidia themselves do not. Companies rarely do charity.
                Agree...and perhaps this is a signal to nvidia to be a little more open if they want to keep their market share

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why open drivers are important

                  Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Must be PathScale sees open Linux drivers as beneficial to them even though nVidia themselves do not. Companies rarely do charity.
                  Companies frequently do charity, but the lack of visibility could sometimes lead those not looking in the right places to miss it. Regardless of that I will say there's strong benefit to us and hopefully everyone with Nvidia hardware for what we're trying to accomplish. We realize these cards are relatively expensive still and that getting them in the hands of eager developers could help bolster work for not only Fermi but all Nvidia cards. I should also note that we have pre-alpha compute drivers for OpenSolaris and FreeBSD. Our focus is open source and not just Linux. Open source drivers may not drive revenue, but I think it'll help us deliver a higher quality product. Mostly, I'm just sick of my Nvidia drivers crashing on OpenSolaris and can't wait to send a patch to fix it (jk)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by codestr0m View Post
                    Companies frequently do charity, but the lack of visibility could sometimes lead those not looking in the right places to miss it.
                    That, and a tendency of many to see corporate charity as nothing but an attempt to buy good press.

                    Which may often be true, but those people forget that corporations are run by humans, who may have genuinely charitable reasons for what they do. It's not *always* a cynical attempt to exploit the masses...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lets be honest about the size of the linux desktop market share

                      Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      Agree...and perhaps this is a signal to nvidia to be a little more open if they want to keep their market share
                      The linux marketshare for gaming if I'm not mistaken is pretty small. I believe this is where most of the money in graphics was made. (I could be wrong as I'm not familiar with that market) I do know Nvidia has invested a huge amount into R&D and everything else to bring Fermi and previous cards to light. I don't blame them for being a bit paranoid about releasing the details. I think instead of getting caught up or pushing open source on them we're just trying to kick their ass on performance and gain the support of larger customers. Then and only then will we have a voice. To do this we need more help from open source developers..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                        Given the power consumption of those horrid monsters, you can NOT call this "free". Those beasts will run you broke just in electricity costs!
                        Absolutely true

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What I don´t get is why people are working so hard to make a opensource driver against Nvidias will. Let´s unite and lets buy all AMD cards instead and consentrate development of that driver with no support from Nvidia. If there is a very good free driver for amd hardware, Nvidia gets more under pressure with the last few flopping series of there cards they are under heavy presure at the moment, somedays they can not ignore 1-5% of the market like they did till now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Lets unit on a making spell checkers better

                            Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                            What I don´t get is why people are working so hard to make a opensource driver against Nvidias will. Let´s unite and lets buy all AMD cards instead and consentrate development of that driver with no support from Nvidia. If there is a very good free driver for amd hardware, Nvidia gets more under pressure with the last few flopping series of there cards they are under heavy presure at the moment, somedays they can not ignore 1-5% of the market like they did till now.
                            While I appreciate your enthusiasm for team red I prefer to support and buy good hardware. I encourage you to look at the lowest level details of the engineering between the two camps and once you're really informed come back and tell others what to do. Nvidia is pushing innovation, but what has team red done in the past couple years?

                            Did you even write that post with an open source browser? Firefox has a built-in spell checker on most platforms.. Hmm.. makes me wonder if you really care about open source or just lazy. The point is that sometimes you have to go the extra mile to make something of high quality..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by codestr0m View Post
                              While I appreciate your enthusiasm for team red I prefer to support and buy good hardware. I encourage you to look at the lowest level details of the engineering between the two camps and once you're really informed come back and tell others what to do. Nvidia is pushing innovation, but what has team red done in the past couple years?
                              My god, the ignorance. ATi/AMD try to push open standard as much as they can. NVidia solely develops closed-source and closed standard products.

                              Futhermore; Good hardware? AMD's 5xxx series are excellent. Way better than the NVidia hardware when you compare both.
                              1. Cheaper
                              2. Less energy consumption
                              3. Better scaling (CF / SLI)
                              4. Better € / performance ratio
                              Has Nvidia done *anything* apart from rebranding, the pas two years?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X