Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free NVIDIA Fermi Cards To Open-Source Developers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by D?niel Fraga View Post
    Besides that, nvidia offers VDPAU and very good interaction with Composite extension (it's been a long time I don't use any ATI driver, so I can't tell today how it is in this aspect).
    3D acceleration works with Opensource driver for AMD for R300-R500 chips and emerges for R600-700 chips(downloadable and usable).
    VDPAU is port and remap to windows driver part. They didnt invent anything, they just remap it.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by codestr0m View Post
      While I appreciate your enthusiasm for team red I prefer to support and buy good hardware. I encourage you to look at the lowest level details of the engineering between the two camps and once you're really informed come back and tell others what to do. Nvidia is pushing innovation, but what has team red done in the past couple years?
      Honestly, if you look closely i think you'll see just as much innovation coming from ATI as NVidia. Fermi does finally come with some new architectural features that are pretty cool, but the previous 2xx series had basically nothing new. And ask yourself who is always the first to have a card running on a new manufacturing process - ATI has a ton of more experience with getting hardware to actually run on smaller processes, while NVidia waits a year for it to mature and then takes advantage of some of the work ATI did.

      Comment


      • #23
        Hmm thread full of usual amount of bs...

        On the topic: So PathScale is making new gpgpu standart which is open source and giving some fermi cards to nouveau driver developers. Any toughs of that, do we need a yet another gpgpu language and if yes. Why opencl is not enough? Or is this gpgpu language only suited for HPC industry.

        source:
        http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/4/2...encl-and-cuda/

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          On the topic: So PathScale is making new gpgpu standart which is open source and giving some fermi cards to nouveau driver developers. Any toughs of that, do we need a yet another gpgpu language and if yes. Why opencl is not enough? Or is this gpgpu language only suited for HPC industry.
          IMHO, another gpgpu language is a non-sense. Come on, Pathscale is a compiler company, they are good at backends and middle ends, why bother with another language? They should check HMPP out, which can be a better solution (pragmas from plain C code). Though a dedicated code generator could be better than plain CUDA, CAL, OpenCL in certain cases as each implementation has their own set of problems (performance-wise, even on the same platform), curiously.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
            IMHO, another gpgpu language is a non-sense. Come on, Pathscale is a compiler company, they are good at backends and middle ends, why bother with another language? They should check HMPP out, which can be a better solution (pragmas from plain C code). Though a dedicated code generator could be better than plain CUDA, CAL, OpenCL in certain cases as each implementation has their own set of problems (performance-wise, even on the same platform), curiously.
            Curious how I actually agree with you.. We have extensively looked at HMPP from Caps and yet another open standard does not mean yet another language. I wish I could clarify further, but suffice to say there will be some other major players backing the new standard.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              3D acceleration works with Opensource driver for AMD for R300-R500 chips and emerges for R600-700 chips(downloadable and usable).
              VDPAU is port and remap to windows driver part. They didnt invent anything, they just remap it.
              As opposed to ATI who just don't do anything at all with regards to HD video decoding. AVIVO FTL.

              Comment

              Working...
              X