No announcement yet.

Testing Out The Nouveau Driver On Fedora 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you guys are interested in fast package management and installers I can really recommend Arch's pacman and also its derivate found in Frugalware. I my experience pacman runs circles around everything else I've tried.

Comment

If only you had a better camera =/

Comment

@Michael:

that problem you found on the syncmaster 305T could be fixed in time for F11, but this is unlikely if you don't report it on http://bugzilla.redhat.com.

So please, open up a new report and remember to attach the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file created during startup.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
          If you guys are interested in fast package management and installers I can really recommend Arch's pacman and also its derivate found in Frugalware. I my experience pacman runs circles around everything else I've tried.
          I'll heartily second that

Comment

Originally posted by giallu View Post
            did you try any recent yum version? speed was one of the recent focus on development. Additionally, rpm 4.7 is also bringing more speed to the transaction, so I suggest you really give a spin to F11 beta (out in two days)
            I also found the rpm/yum from F11 to be faster (very much in "fast enough" land for me). Although Nouveau makes the big news, the Radeon driver is very good for 2D on R600+ cards in F11 (in F10 it varies from horrible to ok depending on the card). KMS is not functional on R600+ though, but I suppose the 3D support will be integrated as soon as it's out.

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
              My experience with yum is fairly current. Fedora 10 was what I tried to upgrade to rawhide as I detailed above.

I will see if i can make it repeatable and provide more information.
              Once you are on the current version (F11), there is a new feature (DeltaRPM) that will speed-up yum updates.
              You just have to enable DeltaRPM repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                How is multi-monitor hotplugging support?

The proprietary Nvidia drivers always had a problem with this. If you plug in a monitor, it isn't recognized. Then, when you detect the monitor through Nvidia X Server Settings, the monitors are combined into one big screen. Maximizing a window will stretch it over all available monitors. You have to log out and restart the X server before multi-monitor works correctly.
                When was the last time you tried it? This was fixed ages ago.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                  Once you are on the current version (F11), there is a new feature (DeltaRPM) that will speed-up yum updates.
                  You just have to enable DeltaRPM repositories.
                  I hope so At this point I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow's beta.

I reinstalled F10 686 live cd on my netbook last night. The install itself was quick.

To recreate what I had done before I installed openoffice writer impress and calc. This was surprisingly slow, taking far longer than it took to install Fedora itself. I then installed the download only plugin for yum so i could do a fully cached run.

Then I proceeded In the following manner:

$ yum clean all
                  $ time yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update --downloadonly

and then finally:

$ time yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update -y -C

Which seems to fail because of a lack of disk space, though i have 828 MiB free and i went with the default massive swap space of ~3 gb in case having no swap was killing yum performance.

Though it takes just under 13 minutes to realize 828MB of space isn't enough to do the upgrade. Moreover it runs a "transaction test" which seems to proceed just fine and then begins to run the transaction before it fails. That is pretty terrible.

For the fedora users here, I'd appreciate pointers on the following:

1. Am I doing something dumb with yum? Please if I am misusing the tool and that's not how upgrades are done, let me know.

2. Running top showed that yum-backend.py wasn't using that much cpu. Maybe yum is being optimized in the wrong area? the SSD in the Aspire One (I have an A110) is extremely slow. I just can't imagine that debs would be less disk intensive than rpms. The ssd is a piece of crap and the ssd controller in it is know to have really terrible speeds with lots of small files.

3. Is there a daily cd spin of rawhide? I've been able to find a few ones for testing intel kms and nouveau but not a regular daily build. It seems trivial but would mean an awful lot to users who want to contribute more back to upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
                    Arch seems really cool I will look at it later.

Comment

I can see that their 20 second startup is really coming along nicely...only about 100 seconds to shave off.

If they do actually achieve 20 second startup, I dont think anyone would actually care if it flickered or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X