Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon vs. RadeonHD Fighting Continues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by an0n1m0us View Post
    a classic reason why open source sucks balls!

    FFS it took so much for AMD to give away the crown jewels in order to conform to the FOSS politics and now the code monkeys still cannot get a driver out? So much for FOSS whining about closed-source hardware specs, the real reason for poor hardware support is clearly the nature of FOSS itself - too many chiefs, not enough indians!

    GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!
    Competition is always the best. Linux wouldn't be here today, if it wasn't for Windows.

    Intel and AMD need each other to drive innovation.

    XBox 360/PS3/Wii there is an enormous interest in pushing the technology.

    And the same goes for the gfx drivers. If we want good drivers, there need to be more than one.

    Gnome/KDE. The list goes on.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Louise View Post
      Competition is always the best. Linux wouldn't be here today, if it wasn't for Windows.

      Intel and AMD need each other to drive innovation.

      XBox 360/PS3/Wii there is an enormous interest in pushing the technology.

      And the same goes for the gfx drivers. If we want good drivers, there need to be more than one.

      Gnome/KDE. The list goes on.
      It can sometimes come to a point that splitting up those resources ends up being a detriment and you end up with mediocre competitive products, neither excelling as well as they could have, had the powers that be joined forces.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        That's not setting up a fight. The fight already started and phoronix had nothing to do with it. This isn't a case of Phoronix emulating Fox News by picking sides and running with it. This little article is of great interest in particular to many members of this site as it does directly effect them. With opensource you have to be willing to take the good, the bad and the ugly. You want secrets behind doors then support your favorite closed source developer.
        See my post about emphasis on "fight" rather than "decision" in the headline.

        Did you read the latest article about Linus and David Arlie? Once again, they put wanted to put emphasis on the fight. And more over, if you had Linus' reply, you would see, that Phoronix tried to make Linus look like an asshole, when in fact he commited Arlie's patch.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Louise View Post
          See my post about emphasis on "fight" rather than "decision" in the headline.

          Did you read the latest article about Linus and David Arlie? Once again, they put wanted to put emphasis on the fight. And more over, if you had Linus' reply, you would see, that Phoronix tried to make Linus look like an asshole, when in fact he commited Arlie's patch.
          The article is more about people butting heads then one group deciding to drop the others contributions. The Xorg mailing list all to often reads like a couple of second graders fighting over a PSP and puts FOSS development in very bad light because of their actions. I don't think that we have the last of this debate.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            The article is more about people butting heads then one group deciding to drop the others contributions.
            Exactly. That's the problem.

            no doubt Phoronix have the best articles about KMS, GEM, and all that stuff, so I am really sad if "this" is the new Phoronix.

            I liked the old better, where the software and hardware was in focus.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Louise View Post
              Exactly. That's the problem.

              no doubt Phoronix have the best articles about KMS, GEM, and all that stuff, so I am really sad if "this" is the new Phoronix.

              I liked the old better, where the software and hardware was in focus.
              It's pure politics that they dropped it, not technical in nature at all, thus why it was reported as such.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                It's pure politics that they dropped it, not technical in nature at all, thus why it was reported as such.
                That may be, but the headline speaks for its self.

                If emphasis was politics, the headline would have read "XOrg decides to go with Radeon".

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Louise View Post
                  the headline would have read "XOrg decides to go with Radeon".
                  And the natural first question to that that pops into everybody's mind is "Why?"

                  Maybe you haven't been around long enough to remember how politics wound up forking XFree86 and what a fun time that was.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by remm View Post
                    RadeonHD should die ...
                    Why? No one's making you use it and the whole point of GNU/Linux is software freedom.

                    The radeonHD driver is better than radeon IMHO. As a radeonhd user, I appreciate the clean code, and the fact that the devs have never made building Mesa and X.org from git source as a requirement to use the latest driver (I'm not sure if it's currently a requirement for radeon, but it was at one time).

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      And the natural first question to that that pops into everybody's mind is "Why?"

                      Maybe you haven't been around long enough to remember how politics wound up forking XFree86 and what a fun time that was.
                      I think Louise's point is that the article shouldn't have been posted at all because it wasn't about technical changes related to Linux. In some ways agree, but bickering ins a part of Linux and I suppose deserves some recognition. I feel the title was appropriate, I know it is not related to technical information. I don't know why he bothered reading the article, other than to find out what the fight is about.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X