Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R580 - Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R580 - Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

    I've just installed the Opensource radeon drivers using the tutorial stickied on this forum. I'm running an X1900 XTX in dual screen config which works, 2D stuff is fine apart from the odd cursor corruption but it goes back to normal pretty quickly so thats fine. I can't get any 3D stuff to work.

    glxgears gives this error:
    "Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual"

    and blender gives this error:
    "intern/ghost/intern/GHOST_WindowX11.cpp:105: X11 glxChooseVisual() failed for OpenGL, verify working openGL system!
    ERROR: Unable to open Blender window"

    glxinfo:
    Code:
    OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 TCL
    OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.1 rc3
    direct rendering: Yes
    xorg.conf:
    Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    
    Section "Module"
    	Load	"bitmap"
    	Load	"dbe"
    	Load	"ddc"
    	Load	"dri"
    	Load	"extmod"
    	Load	"freetype"
    	Load	"glx"
    	Load	"GLcore"
    	Load	"int10"
    	Load	"type1"
    	Load	"vbe"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"gb"
    EndSection
    
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
    	VendorName	"ATI"
    	BoardName	"ATI Radeon X1900 XTX"
    	BusID		"1:0:0"
    	Driver		"radeon"
            Option          "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
    	Option		"ColorTiling" "on"
            Option          "DRI" "on"
    	Option		"DDCMode" "on"
    	Option		"AccelDFS" "on"
    	Option		"GARTSize" "64"
    	
    	#Dual Screen Options
            Option          "monitor-DVI-0" "Monitor1"
            Option          "monitor-DVI-1" "Monitor2"
    
    EndSection
    
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Monitor1"
    	Option		"PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
    	Option        	"Position" "0 0"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Monitor2"
    	Option 		"LeftOf"  "Monitor1"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	Monitor		"Monitor1"
    
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth 24
    		Modes    "1280x1024"  "1024x768" "800x600"   "640x480"
    		Virtual  2560 1024
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Option		"AIGLX" "false"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    EndSection
    
    Section "Extensions"
    	Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection
    
    Section "DRI"
    	Mode	0666
    EndSection
    I don't know if its my card isn't able to do 3D with the current drivers or not. Is there a fix for this or do I have to wait for some bugs etc... to be fixed?

  • #2
    Can you pastebin your xorg log somewhere ? I'm thinking maybe the DRM didn't come up properly. Your card should be supported with current code unless something got broken recently.

    I'm also wondering if /char/drm is still the right place now that Dave has reorganized the drm driver tree. Just guessing though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Heres the xorg log

      http://pastebin.com/f44a3c3a

      Comment


      • #4
        I had the following line under "Section "Module"" on my older radeon setup with my 9250:

        Load "drm"

        I didn't see that in your post.

        You also have libdrm and mesa-libGL installed?

        Comment


        • #5
          I have libdrm2 installed and what I think is mesa-libGL the package which I think it is, is : libgl1-mesa-dri, libgl1-mesa-glx.

          I've added the drm module and rebooted and it hasn't changed anything.
          Last edited by stuthebearded; 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've got a Radeon X1100 on this laptop and I'm getting exactly the same problem. Have you upgraded the xserver to 1.5?

            Comment


            • #7
              revert commit 1724334d7c82abe55b6506dfe369df4facae6f06

              Comment


              • #8
                I've got a 1950pro on Gentoo, and I too have this problem. 2D performance is just awesome. Video still tears but is fast and responsive.

                But I cannot get 3d to work due to this bug. I had it working several weeks ago briefly for about 3 days, but I cant seem to get it working since then.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HailandKill View Post
                  I've got a Radeon X1100 on this laptop and I'm getting exactly the same problem. Have you upgraded the xserver to 1.5?
                  No i'm using the version that comes with Ubuntu 8.04

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stuthebearded View Post
                    No i'm using the version that comes with Ubuntu 8.04
                    Someone fixed it in this thread with an xserver update.

                    Also, try the live cd test

                    That's what I'm attempting at the moment.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HailandKill View Post
                      Someone fixed it in this thread with an xserver update.

                      Also, try the live cd test

                      That's what I'm attempting at the moment.
                      Right i'll try likewise, so is it just the xserver I need to build or the whole of the new version of Xorg? more to the point where do I get it?

                      Is all of this fixed in the ubuntu 8.10?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Download the xorg-edgers-live-test script from here and follow the instructions here. That should download everything you need and install it.

                        ubuntu 8.10 is planned to be shipped with xserver 1.5 and the latest mesa, so yes.

                        The test didn't work with me, so I'm waiting it out.
                        Last edited by HailandKill; 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HailandKill View Post
                          Download the xorg-edgers-live-test script from here and follow the instructions here. That should download everything you need and install it.

                          ubuntu 8.10 is planned to be shipped with xserver 1.5 and the latest mesa, so yes.

                          The test didn't work with me, so I'm waiting it out.
                          Ok I've resolved the error by an unconventional means, I've decided to go down the ubuntu 8.10 alpha5 route, so i've got full 3D acceleration now using the opensource drivers and i've even got Compiz working.

                          The only problem I have now is that Maya gets a viewport corruption whenever you use any of the UI in Maya, clicking back into the 3D viewport seems to refresh that part of the screen and its fine, but the corruption doesn't make certain things like texturing models almost impossible. Where can I log these sorts of bugs?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stuthebearded View Post
                            Ok I've resolved the error by an unconventional means, I've decided to go down the ubuntu 8.10 alpha5 route, so i've got full 3D acceleration now using the opensource drivers and i've even got Compiz working.

                            The only problem I have now is that Maya gets a viewport corruption whenever you use any of the UI in Maya, clicking back into the 3D viewport seems to refresh that part of the screen and its fine, but the corruption doesn't make certain things like texturing models almost impossible. Where can I log these sorts of bugs?
                            Look first at open bugs on freedesktop.org:
                            https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist...tatus=REOPENED

                            And eventually open a new bug on Drivers/DRI/r300 component.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X