Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing The LLVM SI Machine Instruction Scheduler

Phoronix: Testing The LLVM SI Machine Instruction Scheduler

Landing last month in the LLVM SVN/Git code-base was the SI machine scheduler for the AMDGPU LLVM back-end. This scheduler has the potential to improve the performance for some hardware/workloads, but not by the wide margins originally reported by some early testers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i think there might be something odd about these graphs.... Xonotic seriously produces more framerates when multiplying the amount of pixels by 4? in Ultra settings???

Comment

Would be interesting to see radeontop numbers of xonotic on fury. It is probably idling at 1080p :P

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        i think there might be something odd about these graphs.... Xonotic seriously produces more framerates when multiplying the amount of pixels by 4? in Ultra settings???
        It could be CPU bound...

Comment

How does the SI scheduler work on SI hardware? I heard somewhere it had to be manually enabled? And does this only exist for LLVM 3.8+ on SI hardware? Does the scheduler only really apply to AMDGPU?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
            It's just random noise, the test is CPU bound so you don't see any real differences at all.

I'm confused why Michael didn't post the users other test which was a Unigine benchmark. That one did show some improvements and wasn't CPU bound.

Comment

I didn't see any improvement either, but this is noted on the actual llvm page for it.

It is off by default, but can be used
              with --misched=si

Comment

Working...
              X