Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The AMDGPU Kernel Driver's Experimental GPU Scheduler

Phoronix: Trying Out The AMDGPU Kernel Driver's Experimental GPU Scheduler

Yesterday after finishing up the first open-source AMDGPU driver benchmarks of the Radeon R9 Fury, I decided to also give a go on the new AMDGPU driver scheduler that's an experimental feature for Linux 4.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really.. Why bother?
    I don't understand why drivers like this even make it out of staging, let alone are included in the kernel until they start proving some form of usability.
    Drivers have been kicked out to staging for far, far less.

The state that is Linux GPU drivers is a joke, with only Nvidia proprietary being somewhat usable.
    Intel and AMD is a joke.
    These days GPU drivers are released like they are produced at a mass production factory and when they reach the consumer it's like no one has ever bothered testing anything.

Comment

Perhaps you lack sufficient understanding of what Michael wrote?
      Originally posted by Michael
      For this next kernel version, the GPU scheduler is disabled by default but can be enabled by setting the amdgpu.enable_scheduler=1 kernel command-line parameter for the AMDGPU module.
      In other words, the new scheduler is disabled by default, and must be manually enabled by the user with a kernel parameter at boot time. As such, I see no reason why it should be excluded from the release version of the driver. If someone wants to potentially fuck up their system, they can add that to their kernel parameters...otherwise, it's never activated and it's business as usual.

Comment

Maybe option work fine for Carrizo APU only for now, because only that is fully supported... just a guess

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          The state that is Linux GPU drivers is a joke, with only Nvidia proprietary being somewhat usable.
          Intel and AMD is a joke.
          I don't know about AMD, but Intel's actually seeming to be quite a bit better- I have been putzing with trying to get a mid-end gaming laptop up and running with Xubuntu the last week. Until I got Bumblebee happy, it was stuck in Intel-only mode and I didn't even notice it at first. I had framerates similar to the Nvidia 820m I had on my previous laptop when I fired up Witcher 2 on it, was disappointed in my shiny new toy...until I did a few more checks. Did a bit more fighting with the config (There's a reason Linus flipped them the bird- and while they're doing a lot better...they've a long way to go all the same...) and bang, butter smooth play about like my desktop was. Then I was impressed. The Intel part was on and cleanly so from a SSD move from the old laptop to the new one...and the GPU actually was serviceable...just not for this class of games.

Comment

Intel and AMD is a joke.
            These days GPU drivers are released like they are produced at a mass production factory and when they reach the consumer it's like no one has ever bothered testing anything.
            AFAIK it was year in development for amdgpu so that users actually see anything out of it today, as amdgpu driver just get its premiere with 4.2 kernel and probably most testing was done at first with Carrizo APU.

amdgpu driver to be boring stable like radeon today is, plus to have catalyst's UMD blobs as an option... well for that i guess it would be needed around 2 more years
            Last edited by dungeon; 31 August 2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Really.. Why bother?
              I don't understand why drivers like this even make it out of staging, let alone are included in the kernel until they start proving some form of usability.
              As long as it's disabled by default - and this code was - I'd much rather have it publicly available in the kernel where others can potentially hack on it then hidden behind the proprietary walls of AMD's private codebase where no one can see what's going on.

In other words, shut up. Open development is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Comment

Stop feeding the troll...

Comment

Really..
                  fuck off

Comment

Really.. Why bother?
                    Just because. Just because not everybody is a stinky dumbass consumer, who would be happy with blobs... and all nasty consequences, like removal of "unneeded", "extra" monitors nvidia recently did, fucked up system updates where you left with black screen, no working plug-n-play and dos-ages install techniques with setup.exe or somecrap.run, etc, etc.

In fact, opensource Radeon drivers usually perform very well for daily desktop use. As long as you do not have ancient kernel,MESA and LLVM, of course.

Furthermore, open drivers would do quite well in games like Xonotic and many other, and now RadeonSI even hit GL 4.1 mark. While it already gives performance comparable to Catalyst, woot! I would admit it can handle pretty cool games. And for me it works well: it can run for weeks without crashing atm. Not something that Catalyst can do, and even Nvidia got pesky memleaks nobody can catch in year or so :P. And while one can stumble on bug for sure, it proven to be much easier to report bugs for open drivers.

In first place, Linus Torvalds shows finger when he hears "nvidia". And whole kernel dev team would give you a finger if you would dare to try to report bug from your "tainted kernel". Once you install nvidia driver and pollute kernel with foreign code, you're really on your own and do not have to expect any help in terms of dealing with bugs, etc. Nobody want to deal with nvidia bugs. And they have quite some bugs, btw. Some are rather nasty and quite longstanding. And there is no real option for correct and failsafe system upgrade, etc. Once you install brand new kernel, there is always chance nvidia crap would fell apart. Because nobody cares how it performs in new kernel. Its really up to nvidia to deal with issues. Some time later. Sometimes it can take 3 months or so. And TBH I want to have decent plug-n-play experience, where you boot OS, it detects HW and it works. Installing some odd crap and rebooting is fucking MS-DOS aged crap. Let it stay in winduz, dude.

Intel and AMD is a joke.
                    Dude, if I'll want to get crappy blobbed system which pwns me here and there, I can just go use winduz. But Linux is not windows, and availability of source is a major advantage for me. Blobs from nvidia completely negate this advantage. This is unacceptable for me. So, get lost with your nvidia crap :P.

Well, it could be improved for sure. But it has already improved a lot. So, f...k you Nvidia. With your foreign blobs and closedsource attitude. This is simply plain fucking wrong approach in Linux.
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 12 September 2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X