Running The AMD Radeon R9 Fury With AMD's New Open-Source Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Fiji and Tonga are both Volcanic Islands, so they both need similar driver support. Architecturally they are basically the same, just different amounts of resources.
    Ah I thought Tonga was a GCN 1.1 card. So I guess all GCN 1.2 based cards will probably get reclocking with kernel 4.4 then.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      Well, he certainly forgot to mention what a performance wreck and disaster AMD open source drivers are, and that a low-cost GeForce GTX 950 offers much better results.
      I like this R9 290 part by the way
      Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 31 August 2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
        Ah I thought Tonga was a GCN 1.1 card. So I guess all GCN 1.2 based cards will probably get reclocking with kernel 4.4 then.
        Yeah but that whole GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 thing was made up by Anandtech who is an Intel Fanboy. It's better to call it VI.

Comment

fedora 22's current kernel is 4.1.6
          ubuntu sucks, but fedora 23 will get kernel 4.4 starting with 4.4.3 or so

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Yeah but that whole GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 thing was made up by Anandtech who is an Intel Fanboy. It's better to call it VI.
            AMD has called them GCN 1, 2, and 3 internally. Who cares who came up with the 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 terminology. It's convenient and easy, that's all that matters. With VI vs CI vs SI you have to try to remember which order they come in.

Comment

Better than I was expecting, the 285 is kind of slow. I wonder if d3d9 will be added in.

Comment

Working...
              X